Severe battery problems...

Reaction score
Hi!
I have had constant problems with the batteries on my MBP 15". First battery had to be replaced after 14 months. Was off warranty but after talking to someone nice at Apple's they decided it really wasn't normal to have a battery life of 15 minutes after 14 months and not using the battery frequently (they checked the battery info with me and it confirmed the whole thing). So now after another year I have the same problem with the second battery. I reached the point where there was just a minute of battery life and finally no battery life at all: unplug = computer off. Two days ago I decided to read about it and did some routines (recync/calibration of the battery, reinit of SMC/PMU and so on). Here follows the battery data before, after, and after a second routine [and pardon my French but I believe everybody will understand what each line stands for]. Now I have about 15 minutes of battery life again. One noteworthy detail: when the battery is charging the light on the magnet constantly goes from green to red and the battery icon goes from «not charging» [my translation: OSX is in French on my computer...] to «x% charged». Before last routine, this morning, it was 100% charged. Now it's only 82% with charge completed.
Thanks for any help!

1:
Informations sur la charge :
Charge restante (mAh) : 102
Charge complète : Non
En cours de chargement : Non
Capacité de charge complète (mAh) : 185
Comptage de cycles : 42
Conditions : Vérifiez la batterie. [check the battery]

2:
Charge restante (mAh) : 677
Capacité de charge complète (mAh) : 677
Conditions : Vérifiez la batterie.

3:
Charge restante (mAh) : 634
Capacité de charge complète (mAh) : 770
Informations sur la santé :
Conditions : Vérifiez la batterie.
Batterie installée : Oui
Intensité de courant (mA) : 0
Tension (mV) : 12221

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
How old is your MBP? Your battery should have about 5400 mAh capacity when new, and according to Apple still have 80% of its capacity after 300 cycles (about 4300 mAh). You have only 42 cycles and your capacity is only 770 mAh. Something is definitely wrong, though the capacity did go up each time you did your steps, from 185 mAh to 677 mAh to 770 mAh, so maybe it is worth it to try a few more times and see what happens.

I know that there was a problem with some batteries made by Sony that Apple was using a while back, so that could be the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.