NVIDIA GeForce 9400M enough?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MBP w/Touchbar, i5, 8 gb memory, 512 gb SSD
I am considering switching from PC to a MacPro, mainly for photo and light home video editing. I use Photoshop Elements 7 now, but want a machine that won't slow to a crawl if I upgrade to Aperture or Lightroom later.

Assuming I get a machine with a 2.53 processor and 4g of memory, is it likely I will run into any performance problems (slow response, freezing, etc.) with Photo or video apps. if I stay with the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M integrated graphics?

Thanks, olyduck

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You will be fine. You only need dedicated GPU for hardcore 3D rendering. IE Games, and rendering 3D via Maya and such.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
You will be fine. You only need dedicated GPU for hardcore 3D rendering. IE Games, and rendering 3D via Maya and such.
This pretty much covers the basics but of course with a dedicated GPU it helps with future proofing your computer for the years ahead. You never know when you hobby's change and you suddenly want to start staring in family films :p.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!

Actually, if it's the M, it may be a problem at some point. The GT is the way to go. I'm running CS4 and editing 5D MKII files that are 21mp. Some how when I changed it to use the GT and M, it changed it back. I was working on a fraternity composite and the thing was just moving so so so slow. I changed it back over to using the GT and everything went back to being buttery smooth.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.