Upgrade MS Xp Home to Xp Pro in Bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi all!
I have a macbook (purchased in sept.2008) with leopard 10.5.7 and a partition with Xp Home OEM version. I was wondering how to upgrade Xp home to Xp Pro in Bootcamp. I once found an answer on this forum but it seems it has disappeared.
Any help will be great!
Cheers
M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You do it the same way you would if Windows were running on a PC. While XP Home is up and running, insert the XP Pro CD and start the install.

Now having said that, why do want to install Pro over Home? Unless you need the encryption that Pro provides or you need to access a working domain, there is absolutely no advantage to running XP Pro. It just uses more disk space and memory. It adds nothing in the way of functionality with regard to graphics or speed. And there's always the chance of messing up your Windows installation during the install.

Old adage applies: "If it's not broke....."

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks chscag. my problem was that with xp home windows does not recognize my apple mighty mouse.

few months ago i found a post explaining that i had to do a small trick to upgrade xp home to pro in bootcamp, but i was not able to find it anymore.

anyways, i tried to do what you suggested but it says me that i cannot upgrade home to pro with the cd I have. (by the way i first installed a oem xp version partitioning with bootcamp and then tried to upgrade it with an original copy of xp professional).

and i need xp pro because i have a umts-hsdpa modem that runs well only with xp pro and not with xp home. do you have any suggestion to skip the problem and upgrade it?

thanks a lot again

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
thanks chscag. my problem was that with xp home windows does not recognize my apple mighty mouse.

few months ago i found a post explaining that i had to do a small trick to upgrade xp home to pro in bootcamp, but i was not able to find it anymore.

anyways, i tried to do what you suggested but it says me that i cannot upgrade home to pro with the cd I have. (by the way i first installed a oem xp version partitioning with bootcamp and then tried to upgrade it with an original copy of xp professional).

and i need xp pro because i have a umts-hsdpa modem that runs well only with xp pro and not with xp home. do you have any suggestion to skip the problem and upgrade it?

thanks a lot again

I find it unusual that your copy of XP Home did not recognize your MM. I installed an OEM system builder's copy of XP Home SP2 with Boot Camp and it immediately recognized the MM. Are you sure you installed all the drivers from your Leopard DVD?

There is no trick to upgrading XP Home to Pro provided you don't attempt to mix and match versions. Looks like that's what you may have done. And it could very well be that the original install of XP Home is not one that's compatible with Boot Camp. Only an original full install MS boxed copy of XP SP2 Home or Pro will work. Also an OEM system builder's XP Home or Pro SP2 full install works.

Again, I'm mystified why your modem will only work in Pro and not Home. Shouldn't make a difference. You're probably going to need drivers for that modem. What are you going to use the modem for anyway?

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Generally speaking, there is little advantage to using XP Pro over Home, unless you work in a corporate environment and need the ability to join a domain. Certainly there's no difference in driver support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.