macbook hardrive has no memory

Reaction score
Hi. Well I have had my macbook for 2.5 years and lately my hardrive is showing NO memory (or at least very few like 12 MB) I recently went to the Apple store and was told to buy an external hardrive. So I did and now i am not sure what to do with it. Help please?:Oops: Like how do I use the hardrive to my advantage of making more space?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Simply put, move files to it to free up space on your internal drive. If you have files that don't absolutely need to be on your Mac with you at all times, move it to an external HD. An external HD can also be a great way to backup your data.

OP
K
Reaction score
Oh and I just removed a like 2 GB through Monolingual. So i reconmmend that. BUT I STILL NEED HELP WITH THE EXTERNAL HARDRIVE PLEASE!!!!!:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Oh and I just removed a like 2 GB through Monolingual. So i reconmmend that. BUT I STILL NEED HELP WITH THE EXTERNAL HARDRIVE PLEASE!!!!!:D

Did you read what vansmith told you?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Oh and I just removed a like 2 GB through Monolingual. So i reconmmend that.
Many people will, and me included now, not recommend Monolingual. Doing so damages the ability for some apps to update, such as MS Office. Be very careful using something like this.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes but do not drag OS files or even the Applications folder over there. Videos and other large files yes. Be warned though with files connected with say iPhoto. People have lost photos dragging things around. I keep my downloads, large videos I am working on, seldom used documents and other large files on my external.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes but do not drag OS files or even the Applications folder over there. Videos and other large files yes. Be warned though with files connected with say iPhoto. People have lost photos dragging things around. I keep my downloads, large videos I am working on, seldom used documents and other large files on my external.
Agreed. Only move files that are not implicitly or explicitly connected to the proper operation of a program. If you're not sure, you would be best to keep it where it is. That said, I'm sure you can find a lot to move.

OP
K
Reaction score
So, it doesnt seem to be working for me.

To be more specific. I have a iomega external hardrive with 250 GB. My internal HD is showing 1.93 GB. I plugged the external in and I dragged files such as documents and movies to the external hardrive. But it is not clearing up the regular hardrive. Since I have no space on the regular hardrive, I am unable to download updates for my apps or even to download songs.

I hope that helps to make it more clear about what I mean.
Is there something I am doing wrong or is there a way to make my files move over differently? Please help.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You have to delete the files off your internal hard drive after you're done copying them to the external drive. Dragging them over simply copies them, not move them.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ohhhh.... Thanks so much. One last question.
What would you recommend moving over.
I have documents, movies
Do you recommend apps and music and pictures. or not?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't move apps, your iPhoto library or your iTunes library. As to what to move other than apps, it is entirely up to you. We don't know what you need access to on a regular basis ;).

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank y'all so much. I am pretty inexperienced in computers so now I have a new insight. Thanks. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.