Deleted a paid app, do I have to buy it again?

Reaction score
I bought an app called chordmaster that shows all the chords on guitar. An update was released for it. When I went to apply it, it said something about the update being available for the paid version or something like that, prompting me with a "buy" button. I thought this was odd, as I had already paid for the app. I ended up ignoring the update, but something must have got corrupted in the process. All the sound was now static. I ended up deleting the app hoping i could simply re-download it, but alas, I was prompted for a purchase. Has anyone ever had something like this happen? Its a cool app, but I shouldn't have to buy it twice.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've never seen this before myself but it is possible that a new major version was released (ie. v2 to v3). If this is the case, it is possible that a fee has to be paid, unlike "point releases" (ie. v2.1 to v2.2) which are frequently free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No doubt you have kept a copy of the registration details?

Pop an email off to the manufacturer quoting the code and ask them your question.

Reaction score
No, you don't get charged for an Application you already paid for. It may say, "Buy for X.XX" before the download, but you won't be charged. You can verify this by calling 1-800-MY-IPHONE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No, you don't get charged for an Application you already paid for. It may say, "Buy for X.XX" before the download, but you won't be charged. You can verify this by calling 1-800-MY-IPHONE.

Well as vansmith replied, sometimes you do. Examples are Leopard Cache Cleaner updated from Tiger, and various releases of Speed Download versions 4 and 5.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I think there is a bit of confusion going on here. Doppler808 and analogboy are talking about iPhone apps while harryb2448 is talking about OS X apps. Both of you are correct in your assertions regarding app purchases.

My point still stands though - perhaps a new major version was released and you therefore have to pay to upgrade. iPhone/iTouch apps get upgraded too and it is possible that a new major version requires payment, just like Mac apps. I just looked up Chordmaster on the App Store and it is at version 1.0.1. It is very likely that those who had pre 1.0 version had to pay to upgrade to 1.0.x versions.

How long ago did you download your original version of Chordmaster?

OP
A
Reaction score
I got it about a month and a half ago. I paid the same price as it is now, and the update only included some minor bug fixes. They didn't add anything that would warrant the charging of another 1.99.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.