software for turning a mac into a digital photo frame

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 2.4ghz Peryn 4 gig
A while back we had a little 8 inch digital picture frame that ran of an SD card. Our family has 32 gigs of photos and I wanted to display all of them on something bigger. So I put all the photos in a folder on our Time Capsule and the files are accessed wirelessly by a dual processor G4 450 running OSX 10.5. I then use the generic osx screensaver to display the photos. The problem is the OSX screensaver zooms in too much for some pictures and cuts of peoples heads etc. I was wondering if anyone knew of a program that will display large amounts of photos fullscreen randomly without zooming in, or if there is even a screensaver that would do the same thing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about photo slideshow software? Would that be OK? Here's one that I found but there's more. Do a Google search.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
What about Front Row - standard app within 10.5 I believe, just select your photos and stick it on slide-show?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
iPhoto does pretty good slide shows.

I had dismissed them as just a gimmick, but I guess they would fulfill your purpose pretty well.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Front doesn't work because it doesn't randomly select photos, also ever since the new iphoto that sorts pictures by events came out I cannot find a way to have the front row photo presentation do display more than one event. Iphoto also does not select photos randomly for their slideshows and as far as I know it does not support slideshows with files that aren't located locally, all of the photos are not actually on the machine they are accessed wirelessly through a time capsule. chscag thanks for the link, the program would have worked ok except it couldn't deal with the files not being on the machines hard drive, everytime it tried to connect to 30 gigs of files over the wireless connection it froze. thnks for the replies but I am wondering if there is another screensaver out there that just selects pictures randomly with no zooming in or out, that seems like the best solution. Also I would like the slideshow to start automatically soon after the computer wakes up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turns out that there is exactly what i was looking for under an options button in the screensaver preferences. Thanks for the replies, it was right under my nose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
It works for Desktop too. Now that's real cool - random pictures constantly changing. Just put all my favourite photos in one directory and I will no longer have to change my desktop manually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.