Encrypt data on MBP? General security question.

Reaction score
Having had the wonderful experience of my MBP being stolen, I'm thinking of the best way to better-protect my data on my new MBP (15").

I now sync with my office file server using Chronosync. If I were to encrypt the data on my MBP and that data syncs over, how would I "unencrypt" the data on the server? Some of the files are shared by other users on the server, so would they have to "unencrypt" them?

Alternatively, I could install something like LoJack. What about password protecting Contacts and Mail? Is there a way to do that?

Maybe I should just have one folder with sensitive information that gets encrypted?

Ideas??? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you have auto login disabled (i.e. you need your name and / or password on start-up) then you can use Filevault (Prefs > Security) to encrypt your User folder.

Since files are encrypted and decrypted on the fly, the data on your server will be free from encryption. But a thief who tries to access your data will not be able to access it.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You should probably read through this and this first if you go the FileVault route. You'll note that FileVault requires that you have free space equivalent to your home directory to do this. So, for instance, if your home directory is 50GB and you only have 30GB of free space, you're going to have to make your home dir smaller (by 10GB so each are 40GB) or get free disk space.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Having had the wonderful experience of my MBP being stolen, I'm thinking of the best way to better-protect my data on my new MBP (15"). Ideas??? :D

In addition to the replies you already received, you might want to purchase and use Orbicule. That along with setting a firmware password will give you good protection. (Better than LoJack)

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll look into all these options! Gotta protect the 1s and 0s!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.