Mac Pro Xeon vs Xeon Nephalem Advice,Opinons,Votes

Reaction score
I know a guy willing to sell me his Mac Pro for 1500. Its about two years old, 1st gen Xeon Processor, quad core, 3 xtra hard drives, don't know how much ram, 4 gigs I think. I was just about to buy a new Mac Pro Quad Core with the Nephalem processor for 2300(student discount), when the deal came my way. What should I do? Planning to run Final Cut Pro and Protools on it mostly. Will I wish I had gotten the newer version in a year or two? Will it be a significant difference in performance of the newer computer vs the older version? Can the processor be upgraded at a later date? Tell me what you can, cast your vote, throw me some advise and opinions and help me make a decision. For the record, I am leaning towards the computer with the regular xeon(older) over the nephalem(newer) processor. 800 hundred dollar difference...hard to beat, unless you know something that I need to know. Talk to me folks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I purchased a Quad-core Xeon Mac Pro (1st Generation) with the "better" X-1900 512meg video card...with similar ram to the one you're looking at about 8 months ago for $1050.

IMHO the extra hard drives are a bonus, but not a reason to pay a lot extra for it.

My point is I think $1500 is an ok price...but since I paid $1050 8 months ago for mine...I think you could do better on the price...maybe $1250.

What video card does it have?...always an important consideration.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I did see another 1st gen mac pro on ebay for 1299 buy it now price. I was already hoping to get him a down to 1200, but once I saw that, I really wanted to drop the price. But it's got an upgraded video card, don't know exactly which one, but I know its probably top notch. Got a 750 gig hd, plus 3 more 160gig 10k rpm hd's. I know he can get 1500 for it. Somebody would definitely give it to him if not me, but I've got dibs for now. He's not in a rush and doesn't need the money. Figure 1000 for the Mac pro, plus 180 for a 10k hd x 3 = 540 (Tiger Direct) so thats 1540 right there. Include the upgraded video card, plus some software. Its not a bad deal. I mean, it's fair at the least. The questions come about based on comparing the machine to a newer one. I have the money so I have the option. I just don't want to regret buying the older processor in a year or so.
Whats the deal on the comparison as far as performance? Are you happy with the performance you're getting out of yours? Plus what happens in a couple of years, compatibility, support ect? What about upgrade ability? Whats possible?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did see another 1st gen mac pro on ebay for 1299 buy it now price. I was already hoping to get him a down to 1200, but once I saw that, I really wanted to drop the price. But it's got an upgraded video card, don't know exactly which one, but I know its probably top notch. Got a 750 gig hd, plus 3 more 160gig 10k rpm hd's. I know he can get 1500 for it. Somebody would definitely give it to him if not me, but I've got dibs for now. He's not in a rush and doesn't need the money. Figure 1000 for the Mac pro, plus 180 for a 10k hd x 3 = 540 (Tiger Direct) so thats 1540 right there. Include the upgraded video card, plus some software. Its not a bad deal. I mean, it's fair at the least. The questions come about based on comparing the machine to a newer one. I have the money so I have the option. I just don't want to regret buying the older processor in a year or so.
Whats the deal on the comparison as far as performance? Are you happy with the performance you're getting out of yours? Plus what happens in a couple of years, compatibility, support ect? What about upgrade ability? Whats possible?

I got my Mac Pro from Craig's List. I think you can usually get a better deal on Craig's List (you're not bidding against 100 other people)...of course what you want may not always be available on Craig's List.

As far as the video card...the X-1900 video card I got with mine was technically an upgrade...video cards can be pricey...so it would be good to know exactly what video card in the Mac Pro you're looking at has.

If the extra hard drives in the Mac Pro you're looking at are 10,000 rpm drives, then that makes a difference. $1500 is probably a fair price for it...especially if the guy selling it is in no hurry or doesn't need the money, and isn't willing to drop the price any further. Maybe you could shoot a $1400 offer his way & see how he reacts.

Yes...I'm happy with the performance I get out of my Mac Pro...but then I'm not pushing it that much. If you're really concerned about performance comparisons (Older Mac Pro vs. Newer Mac Pro's)...do a Google search for comparison's...plenty out there. Just make sure you're comparing a quad vs. quad...not quad vs. 8-core.

As far as the future. I think an older quad core Mac Pro has plenty of life left in it...especially with the optimized Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard upgrade coming in September.

And hey come on...you're saving $800+ over a new Mac Pro.

My humble opinion...try to negotiate with the guy selling the Mac Pro...and then buy it ASAP before someone else gets it!

Good Luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.