Blank white screen (of death)

Reaction score
I opened up my iBook G4 again today, hoping to solve its charging issue. I cleaned parts of the logic board with alcohol and a toothbrush and dried it with a hairdryer. It still booted up and functioned right before I put it back together, but when I next powered it up the screen was white and totally blank. I think it actually boots the operating system, because at some point I'm able to adjust the brightness with the function keys, and I can shut if off by pressing power then return.

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
*BUMP*
Operating system definitely boots, there is just nothing on the screen.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I hope you did not in cleaning and using the hairdryer cause that video issue to pop up that happens with some iBooks. It was mostly the older g3 but I read about some G4's doing it also. Something with the Video Ram and solder joints. Try applying pressure on the bottom of the iBook and see if the video comes back.

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
I hope you did not in cleaning and using the hairdryer cause that video issue to pop up that happens with some iBooks. It was mostly the older g3 but I read about some G4's doing it also. Something with the Video Ram and solder joints. Try applying pressure on the bottom of the iBook and see if the video comes back.
I bet that's exactly what's going on. I can't think of any other reason it would fail to output video. My electronics guru informs me that this issue potentially applies to any Apple notebook that uses ball grid array. I tried pressing on the bottom and powering it on, but no luck yet (probably didn't find the right spot). Do you know where the GPU is located? Perhaps I should apply some pressure while the hairdryer is on over it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The open trace could be anywhere in the video path. The problem with trying to find it is that if it's located beneath the surface, (between layers) no amount of twisting or pushing is going put humpty dumpty back together again. I had the same thing happen on a Sony main board some time back. Wound up having to replace the entire main board. $$$

Regards.

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
Got my hands on a mini-VGA adapter. Using it right now with an external monitor. My electronics guru suggests it might be the LCD inverter.

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
After a few minutes, everything went pink. Using a different monitor now and still pink.

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
Whew! Finally taking the time to fix this bloody thing after 2 years! I've effectively rued out the GPU, as it does output to a monitor via mini-VGA (pink issue is with the cable, just gotta bend it the right way). I thought for certain it was the display cable since the backlight comes on but no picture, unfortunately replacing it didn't do any good. Maybe the one I bought off eBay was just equally cruddy?

Reaction score
Hey, I actually had the logic board die and replaced on my iBook years ago, and then when the video went out after, followed this tutorial on fixing it. It goes out every now and then, and I just reopen and re-do it and voila it works again. Actually using my iBook g3 today since my MacBook died. Only thing I did differently is instead of using a flame/candle, I just took a Canadian dollar coin, heated it up by holding it to an open flame on the stove, then put it on top of the Video chip and pushed down on it. I did that 3 or 4 times.

DIY obsolete iBook logic board repair :: projects :: geek technique

OP
kahlil88
Reaction score
Hey, I actually had the logic board die and replaced on my iBook years ago, and then when the video went out after, followed this tutorial on fixing it. It goes out every now and then, and I just reopen and re-do it and voila it works again. Actually using my iBook g3 today since my MacBook died. Only thing I did differently is instead of using a flame/candle, I just took a Canadian dollar coin, heated it up by holding it to an open flame on the stove, then put it on top of the Video chip and pushed down on it. I did that 3 or 4 times.

I'm familiar with the horrible GPU issue that plagued the iBook G3, and I've dealt with plenty. However my iBook G4 is having an entirely different problem. It's not a GPU issue because I can connect a monitor to the mini-VGA and there are no video glitches or freezing. It's just the internal display that doesn't receive a video signal but the backlight is on, so it has to be the inverter or display cable.

Glad to hear you got yours working, although I highly recommend selling it ASAP once it's working reliably. Last time I worked on an iBook G3, I tried shimming the GPU and sent it to a company that re-flows the solder for $50, but it still kept crapping out.

Reaction score
totally feel you. not sure i care to sell it though. what i'd get for it is not worth the time/effort. its also the first mac i ever purchased, so im a bit nostalgic with it. also the best kept (appearance wise), so im kind of hoping one day someone will figure out a way to gut the newer models and stick the insides into the older macs, which seem to be built out of more durable shells... not realistc, but a girl can dream!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.