Volume / Removable Storage Icon on Desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hi,

When I open some programs in mac a white volume / storage icon appears on the desktop with the program files inside.

Why is this happening and how do I stop it.

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Most Mac programs are distributed in "DMG" format. DMG stands for "Disk Image". When you open one of them, the file is mounted as virtual disk on your desktop. That disk opens just like a CD-ROM or a Hard Disk would. And once you're done installing the program (usually by dragging and dropping it into the Applications folder or by running its installer wizard), you may simply eject the virtual disk by dragging it to the trash.

In short, it's working exactly as intended, the concept is probably just a little unfamiliar if you're used to the Windows world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
That's right. In Windows, volumes and hard drives are found under "My Computer" but on a Mac, they're automatically mounted onto the desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
What they are trying to say is you haven't really installed the program yet, you are running it from the DMG.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Ah yes. You have to install the app either by using its included installer OR by dragging the app icon into the Applications folder. Then drag the disk image into the trash and open up the app from the Applications folder instead.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.