Quicktime issue!

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I'm going to type the error out, for the purpose of it to be searchable, instead of having a picture.

The error:
You may experience problems playing a sound track in "file.mov" because a software component needed by the movie could not be opened. Would you like to close the movie or continue?

Okay, no matter what video file I play with audio, I get the warning below. Once I click continue, I get no sound whatsoever. This goes the same for every video file and audio file that I have on my computer, avi, mpg, mov, mp3. So far, I have verified and repaired permissions after each attempt of the following: restarted the computer 4 times, reinstalled Quicktime twice, uninstalled it once, while deleting all the preference files with it. I still get the same problem.

Edit: I am able to play all video files with alternative video players, but I still will need Quicktime to work, because I still need to play content online in the web browser.

Help me, I'll give a sticker to whom ever fixes this for me!

quicktimeerror.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
do you have qt pro? sounds like you have sp,ee codec issues. a list of the codecs/plugins you have or quicktime would be helpful.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, I do have Quicktime Pro, ver. 6.5.2, I think. Sorry, Macman, but I'll be needing to know how I can find my codecs/plugins. I'll be back later today; I have to go to class now. Spring break is over, darn!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac hd>library>quicktime. all your codecs/plugins/quicktime components are in there.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I checked the folder and their was nothing in it. I decide to check my other computer, which is an iBook for the same folder. The folder in the iBook only had one file in it, and it was named "DivX 5.component". I got the file placed it in the computer with the problem, but I didn't help. I just install the MPEG-2 codec from Apple, but that didn't work either.

If you can't think of anything, do you think I should pull out my installation discs and do something that will return everything to the default settings? Would that cure my problem? But I would still like to use that as a last resort, even though it might be my only option at this point that I know of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
have you posssibly tried reinstalling quicktime? use pacifist to extract it from the os install discs.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to reinstall two times before, but it didn't help much. I tried pacifist and extracted Quicktime and install it, but still no worky. It's not looking good for me.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, forgot. Thanks for your attempt, Macman.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.