Most commonly used keyboard shortcuts/touchpad strokes

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post and I'm a new Switcher (Macbook aluminum-touchpad all one piece).

One thing I am struggling with is the overwhelming amount of keyboard shortcuts and touchpad movements available on my Mac. (I have been to the sticky pages and apple.com). I wish their was a summary of the top 10 or 15 most commonly used shortcuts/movements. Wondering if folks might break down for me their top favorites for performing basic functions. For example, in my first 2 months on my Mac, I've realized I use the four finger stroke on the touchpad a lot to display my open webpages and other open applications.

Any help on folk's most commonly used shortcuts/touchpad movements would be awesome.

Marigoldey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
Command-Tab: cycles between applications
Command-`: cycles between windows within the same application

Command-L: highlights the URL bar in most browsers

Command-X, Command-C, Command-V: cut, copy & paste

Shift-Command-3: takes a snapshot of your screen and puts it on the desktop

Command-Space: spotlight

Option-Command-Escape: the OS X equivalent of Ctrl-Alt-Delete

BTW: It you had a few favorite keyboard shortcuts in Windows using the Ctrl key, try them in OS X with the Command key. Often they are the same.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

I've already viewed the sticky article. I'm looking for more of a summary of the most commonly used movements/shortcuts because I am feeling very overwhelmed right now looking at a list of like 100 or more keyboard shortcuts.

thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
You'll probably get as many suggestions here as you would on the sticky post or here on Apple's website:

Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts

But it's important to note that the Command key is sort of like the first line of defense when it comes to shortcuts.

Command-H hides an app.
Command-Q quits.
Command-X cuts.
Command-C copies.
Command-V pastes.
Command-S saves a document.
Command-Tab switches between apps.
Command-` switches between multiple app windows.

Command-Option-Eject puts the computer to sleep.

Those are probably the most used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.