iPhone 3GS Tethering Works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Holy crap. It works. Writing this reply with it!

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I've been using it for a little while now and it's lightning quick. For web browsing, I can't tell I'm not using my DSL.

(BTW: I'm in the US w/ AT&T)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
It did break my voicemail though! I had to reset my network settings to get it back. Whew!

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First thing I did was check my voicemail. Works perfectly. Been tethered for an hour now. Just checked it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
After reading all the posts it seems it is hit or miss. Some people are reporting broken functionality and others (like you) are not. Either way it is cool. Resetting the network stuff is simple enough.

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is.php

is.php

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
Will your service providers find out that you are using their networks for your PC internet use?

OP
Jaygray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will your service providers find out that you are using their networks for your PC internet use?

People have been doing it for years with other apps such as USB Modem, PDANet, etc. Unless you're transferring a ridiculous amount of data (running a server off a tethered phone) you simply fly under the radar. I think you'd be more likely to have someone banging on your door in the middle of the night demanding that you gave up your jailbroken/unlocked iphone. How many people has that happened to?

Until AT&T has a legitimate option to tether which they can charge for, they will be content to let sleeping dogs lie and quietly collect their $125 a month from each of us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
Tethering over the 3g network is just a sinch slower than using the WiFi I have at home. I can definitely see myself using this when internet is nonexistant! Shame AT&T will eventually charge for this, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4
O2 in the uk charge for this facility. They started it when the 3GS was released. It's around £10 a month.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.