iPhone Gmail rules

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
My iMac and Macbook observe the rules I have created in Mail for Gmail. It blocks or moves the senders I have chosen. No problem.

My 3gs is displaying my Gmail and Mobile mail, but is not observing the rules I have set up on the iMac, consequently I'm receiving emails I'd rather went straight into the bin. Is there a system within the iPhone which I should access to create a new set of rules?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
I'm going to assume that you have the iMac and the MacBook syncing mail rules through MobileMe and that is why the rules carry over.

I am not sure if the iPhone supports mail rules, so you have a couple of options:

1) Set your rules up in GMail and it will process them before your mail ever hits a device.

2) If you are using iMap to access gmail, all you have to do is leave mail running on one of your computers and every time it checks for mail it will execute your rules for you. After that, the next time your phone syncs with the imap server, it pull down the version that reflects the changes made by your home computer.

OP
Lycoming
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Eddi, that's the curious thing; the mail is set up with the rules applied in both the main Gmail account on a Windows laptop, and on the iMac. Both operate as anticipated. However the iPhone is not 'seeing' the rules, or the mail is going directly to it, although I'm using MobileMe via the Mac. 'Mail' is my primary source of mail.

The iPhone has also tried to download the entire Gmail inbox history, which for some reason remains as a pile in the inbox on Google. It doesn't seem to recognise that I've binned the read mail etc on 'Mail'.

Methinks there's a tad of finger trouble somewhere, but I have no idea where that might be. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
Well now, that puts a whole new spin on things, don't it.

I can't think of anything else to help you at this point. Best of luck getting to the bottom of things.

OP
Lycoming
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update.

I opened Firefox, which is where the Gmail account was initiated, and where the rules had originally been established prior to my switch to Macs. All my rules were still in place, including the rule blocking the problem sender, I had previously checked this was so. The address was also blocked in Safari 'Mail' preferences.

I went to his latest email offering from two days ago, copied the email address and placed it in Firefox as another rule. Although the address is the same as the original it changed when placed in the Gmail rule box, it now shows a number and ? before the address, eg [email protected]

Three nuisance mails were sent to my email addy yesterday. All three were binned. None reached Safari or my phone. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.