SoundBlaster X-Fi Surround 5.1

Reaction score
I have a Macbook with Leopard and I bought a SoundBlaster X-Fi external sound card. The clerk told me that if it doesn't work I should install Linux drivers. It surely doesn't work properly - e.g. the volume control doesn't work - so my question is: how to install Linux drivers on OSX?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Unless you are familiar with Linux (which I'm guessing you're not since you are here) or you like being frustrated to the point of throwing your computer out a window, take it back to the clerk and get your money. There is no Linux driver for the USB card. I've only seen one report of someone making it work in Linux and he has not posted a how to. So far the drivers are only available for certain PCI cards. They are getting sound out of the card, but no 5.1 support for it yet and half the other features don't work either. The volume control is one of the things that hasn't worked on several Linux distro's.

I suggest getting a card that has native drivers for OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.