"Navigon" gps mapping for the 3gs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
This is the second thread that I have seen where the need for the TomTom cradle was suggested with no source cited. Can someone please tell me where this rumor came from, because I don't see it on the iphone.tomtom.com site.

To be fair, there is a lot of info I don't see there, but I hate baseless rumors and I want to know more before I jump to any conclusions.

*EDIT* I did not want to double post, so I am adding this here:

More Details on TomTom for iPhone: Mount Has its Own GPS Chip

If you read down near the bottom, TomTom's vice president for market development stated that the dock would be optional. Additionally, separate versions of the app will be sold for each region. No mention was made of either how much updates will cost nor how often they will come out.

OP
D
Reaction score
This is the second thread that I have seen where the need for the TomTom cradle was suggested with no source cited. Can someone please tell me where this rumor came from, because I don't see it on the iphone.tomtom.com site.

To be fair, there is a lot of info I don't see there, but I hate baseless rumors and I want to know more before I jump to any conclusions.

*EDIT* I did not want to double post, so I am adding this here:

More Details on TomTom for iPhone: Mount Has its Own GPS Chip

If you read down near the bottom, TomTom's vice president for market development stated that the dock would be optional. Additionally, separate versions of the app will be sold for each region. No mention was made of either how much updates will cost nor how often they will come out.

it states that the gps built into the iphone really isnt up to much. Driving in a city will not be much fun unless you have a good GPS module to suck those sats in with !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it states that the gps built into the iphone really isnt up to much. Driving in a city will not be much fun unless you have a good GPS module to suck those sats in with !

That may or not be true, but that has nothing to do with TomTom or Navigon. Actually, the poor built in GPS would give an advantage to TomTom since they offer the option of adding in a traditional GPS receiver through the use of their car dock.

As to my original point, when you made your post singing the praises of Navigon and trashing TomTom, you failed to cite any source. With only one Google search I managed to find information released by a VP of the company that contradicted what you posted. So before you get all worked up over something you heard a company may be doing, do some research. There are plenty of stupid things that companies do that are worthy of your ire that it is a waste to do so unnecessarily.

OP
D
Reaction score
That may or not be true, but that has nothing to do with TomTom or Navigon. Actually, the poor built in GPS would give an advantage to TomTom since they offer the option of adding in a traditional GPS receiver through the use of their car dock.

As to my original point, when you made your post singing the praises of Navigon and trashing TomTom, you failed to cite any source. With only one Google search I managed to find information released by a VP of the company that contradicted what you posted. So before you get all worked up over something you heard a company may be doing, do some research. There are plenty of stupid things that companies do that are worthy of your ire that it is a waste to do so unnecessarily.

are you for real ??????? of course its true... Tomtom have issued warnings that unless the cradle is used , the full benefit of their software might not be reached.

Also navigon maps here in Uk are cheaper to buy and update etc And from the box seem to have a more update mapping

Both map sets still not as "new" as the garmins...But both nicer to use !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
do you Americans need to be spoon fed everything???

Ahh, so now we come down to the heart of the matter, don't we?

Since I see that you would rather attack my country of origin than provide references for the claims you are making about a product that has not even been released, I will not be responding any further to your posts.

OP
D
Reaction score
great news........

Anyone that trolls forums DEMANDING links etc is a right little insecure man

shame you did not bother to read your own links etc all the answers are there. Also try something called Google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
He was just asking you where you found your sources. I think you're the insecure one when you start attacking his country...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Asking for links backing up your claims isn't trolling. Making baseless claims without corroborating evidence and then going on to insult the member asking for such evidence, on the other hand, certainly is trolling.

OP
D
Reaction score
Asking for links backing up your claims isn't trolling. Making baseless claims without corroborating evidence and then going on to insult the member asking for such evidence, on the other hand, certainly is trolling.

wow !!! it like a kids Tea party here...... the guy has mentioned the links that he posted. The answers are all there shame you and him have failed to even read them. I do not have to prove anything.

Now...if you and others have a issue with it , then hard luck.. grow up and move on. I am not here to breast feed idiots . he acted like a bored anal idiot who needs everything explained to him. All the guy has to do is read his own links and do some footwork himself.

The answers are all there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
From what I've read, the TomTom software will not need the cradle, the info is in the public domain and can be found with a simple Google search.

There is one very significant point that I think you have touched on but need to consider further - the iPhones GPS chip.

Consider the quote:
TomTom stated that the mount "enhances" the iPhone's GPS. Really? How so? Turns out, the windshield mount actually has its own GPS chip and antenna inside, and when the iPhone is docked to the mount, it relies on the mount's GPS, says Murray. Wow. So much for depending on the iPhone's anemic GPS. The mount will "enhance reception in challenging areas, such as among tall buildings," says Murray.
from HERE.

So the cradle does have its own receiver to help boost the GPS signal and to some extent your basic point is correct.

However the article and numerous other sources (Thank you Google) indicate that the cradle is not required. It merely helps...

So on to Navigon; Another piece of software that looks pretty good, I especially like the view from the road, showing lanes etc.

However at the moment Navigon will rely solely on the iPhone receiver. Currently there is not a cradle (AFAIK) to give that boost when it might be needed; therefore one could argue that this is in-fact an inferior product in some situations (due to not being able to offer that extra GPS signal boost available with the TomTom cradle).

eddiddiums merely asked for more info and I think that was a very reasonable request personally. How that request can be seen as the result of being American I'm unsure... Furthermore he is 'standing up for' TomTom, a European company. Perhaps you might want to consider an apology or at least explaining why you find this view point to be so irritating?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow !!! it like a kids Tea party here...... the guy has mentioned the links that he posted. The answers are all there shame you and him have failed to even read them. I do not have to prove anything.

Now...if you and others have a issue with it , then hard luck.. grow up and move on. I am not here to breast feed idiots . he acted like a bored anal idiot who needs everything explained to him. All the guy has to do is read his own links and do some footwork himself.

The answers are all there.

You have issues. I suggest brushing up on your forum etiquette a bit before you run across a moderator having a bad day. Either that or just leave, not like you're going to be missed.

OP
D
Reaction score
You have issues. I suggest brushing up on your forum etiquette a bit before you run across a moderator having a bad day. Either that or just leave, not like you're going to be missed.

read the guys posts.... his attitude is demanding. Does he expect everyone to back up opinions etc??

So again.... has tom tom built in some sort of trick to make us need to buy the cradle ? or has navigon built a better system that functions well with the stock 3gs?

Either way the whole point is to be able to use a GPS in a built up area.

And as for having issues.......... !!!!!

like i care ! its a forum not a AA meeting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hold on, you're being incredulous because you think it's too demanding to backup your statements with evidence? And you think WE'RE the crazy ones? Ha!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.