Tomtom up to their usual tricks.....

Reaction score
Heard that unless you use their car cradle the tomtom software will not work??

so what good will it be as a stand alone gps device etc for someone to use walking etc?

If the 3gs has GPS as standard then the tomtom must be able to function without this cradle???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Heard that unless you use their car cradle the tomtom software will not work??

so what good will it be as a stand alone gps device etc for someone to use walking etc?

If the 3gs has GPS as standard then the tomtom must be able to function without this cradle???

might only be for the 1st Gen iphone that you need the cradle since they didnt have GPS radios in them.

OP
D
Reaction score
might only be for the 1st Gen iphone that you need the cradle since they didnt have GPS radios in them.

No..... its something to do with tomtom claiming the GPS inside the iphone is not good enough

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15-inch: 2.66GHz
No..... its something to do with tomtom claiming the GPS inside the iphone is not good enough

I would really like to know where you are getting this information. Could you please cite a source?

From what I have read here, and even pointed out to you in this tread, the VP of Marketing Development for TomTom has said that the dock is not required for use on the iPhone and that it is just there to assist in areas like dense city streets where the iPhone's assisted GPS may not be sufficient.

Also, as pointed out by Noxian, the TomTom car dock might prove useful for iPhone 2G users with no GPS chip. Why should only the 3G users have all the fun?

OP
D
Reaction score
like i told you........ they have admitted .The built in Tomtom chip set is not really up to the task of good GPS reception in a city. This issue would be the same with out a car. So in effect to truly use the tomtom , you will need to use the chip set built into the cradle...

no point of having a 3gs and hoping to use it as a full time GPS unit if the reception is going to be weak

OP
D
Reaction score
And i wonder if they apple have asked them to keep the Cradle and 2g situation quiet for a bit.... maybe it will work? maybe it wont ! But apple will want to try and sell 3gs to old 2g owners etc first. until the cradle is out in the public domain we will have to wait and see !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.66Ghz, 4Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD, OSX 10.5.6

My understanding is that the antenna gets a boost by using the cradle, not the gps chip.

S

OP
D
Reaction score
the cradle has a "Piggy back" chip set built into it which will switch out the internal 3gs one. Allowing for a faster and stronger signal path.

Ive seen one yesterday here in London that was been used by someone who i know who works for Tomtom UK. Its a lovely designed and built device. Same as my 730 units sucker. But i would love to do a A/B test with a normal 3gs and a tomtom cradled 3gs in the same car and see what happens.

You see..... as much as they are a good company. their attitude towards their customers etc is terrible and i wonder if they are putting rumors out to help sales of the cradle? If the whole package comes in at under £75 then maybe its a winner? But if it climbs to £100 then people will get more upset

But if its true and the iphone need "help" to truly perform, then i wonder if navigon have a cradle they will put on the market? If i was navigon i would want a active cradle out there very very fast.

Reaction score
Are the soon to come TomTom or the Navigon software suited for walking? Since I hear the battery drains so fast... I was wondering if it was useful for walking as well?

Reaction score
so much poor information out there

Sometimes I think we're all as bad as a sewing circle...

I have the Iphone 4, TomTom USA/Can app, and the TomTom cradle.

The app works fine without the cradle. The GPS reception is what you would expect, it's just as good or bad as any other Nav app.

The GPS reception with the cradle is excellent and very accurate.

The iPhone 4 fits in the cradle fine if you stick a little rubber pad on the cradle (you just trim one of those little feet you'd put on the bottom of something to make it non-slip... see pic)

The map app that comes with the phone is better for walking.

tomtomforiphone4.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

Ash

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.