MacPro and Raptor

Reaction score
Will be getting a MacPro tomorrow. Just has the stock 7200 hard drive on it. I'm thinking of getting a WD VelociRaptor 300 GB SATA hard drive, 10,000 rpm. Will this be too hot for the MacPro?, i.e., will it run too hot and cause problems? Also, I was going to be using the Raptor for video I would be using for FCP; however, I wonder if I should use the 10,000 Raptor as my everyday hard drive instead. I'll just use an external hard drive for the video until I figure out what is the best thing to do. Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Mac Pros have excellent cooling, as do the Raptor drives themselves. I don't see you having any issues with heat.

I personally have two Raptors in my Windows rig and I wholeheartedly support the notion of using the Raptor as your primary drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8-core MacPro
Hi,

I installed a raptor in my MacPro a couple months ago. It's faster. Just be sure to buy the right raptor model for the MacPro (I bought mine from Macsales.com).

Use it as your boot drive. Aplications will load faster and 300 GB would be too small to store video files.

Joster

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.