Installing XP using USB stick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Good day,

So, I have been facing problems with my Apple MacBook Pro's (Early '08 version) dvd/cd drive. Every time I insert a CD or a DVD (even the OS X ones that came with the notebook) it just keeps ejecting them after failing to spin them. I called up the Apple store, they told me that I need to bring it to them and they'll do a check, it might require a new cd/dvd drive but that'll cost a fortune and I don't even use my drive much except to install Windows through Boot Camp.

So let's get to the point - I'm trying to install Windows XP Media Center Edition using a USB Stick. I managed to succeed in loading Windows XP to the USB Stick, all I need to do now is get into the MacBook Pro's bios and do the following:

step 9:
Now, insert your USB Flash Drive/Flash Disk/Thumb Drive to your notebook (e.g Acer Aspire One)
go to BIOS and make USB HDD (or USB ZIP in some other machine) as primary boot device....

then boot form your USB Flash Drive....
and select "TXT Mode Setup Windows XP, Never unplug USB-Drive Until After Logon"

step9.jpg

After Hard Disk detected, delete all partition, create single partition... and install Windows XP on that partition...
and wait...

once text mode setup is complete, computer will restart....
this time select "GUI Mode setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP"

step9b.jpg

Continue Windows XP setup.... and Done!
Windows XP Installed....

Unfortunately, I understand that Apple computers do not have a BIOS, I've read that on some other threads in Mac Rumors, here. So I am lost at the moment and I do not know what to do. I need Windows on my MacBook Pro but my CD/DVD drive keeps ejecting every disc I insert so that's not helping!

If you have any ideas on what I can do at the moment, please suggest, and thank you very much.

Have a great day,
Tarek.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Unfortunately, Windows lacks the appropriate drivers for the USB bus on the Mac, so it is not possible to install it from a USB device of any kind (including an external optical drive).

Although you'll need the internal drive to do a Boot Camp install, nothing is stopping you from using a virtualization product like Parallels, Fusion or even the free and open source VirtualBox to do your installation.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, thank you very much for replying and explaining. The problem is, I really hate those Virtual Machine programs like Parallels and VMWare Fusion (I've tried both around four months ago). The maximum video card graphics use in a virtual machine is around 16 - 64 MB, I don't remember exactly, but that's really low and the graphics lag some times, if you know what I mean. I already have a version of Windows installed through Boot Camp (Windows XP Professional SP3) but when I turn the computer on and go in Windows, it takes around 3 - 4 minutes till it shows the LAN icon on the taskbar, lets me use programs like FireFox without having to wait a couple of minutes for it to open, etc.

So I don't know what to do, really, I'm stuck. I live in Egypt and I bought the MacBook Pro from BestBuy, NY, so I can't really use my warranty here :(.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First, thank you very much for replying and explaining. The problem is, I really hate those Virtual Machine programs like Parallels and VMWare Fusion (I've tried both around four months ago). The maximum video card graphics use in a virtual machine is around 16 - 64 MB, I don't remember exactly, but that's really low and the graphics lag some times, if you know what I mean. I already have a version of Windows installed through Boot Camp (Windows XP Professional SP3) but when I turn the computer on and go in Windows, it takes around 3 - 4 minutes till it shows the LAN icon on the taskbar, lets me use programs like FireFox without having to wait a couple of minutes for it to open, etc.

So I don't know what to do, really, I'm stuck. I live in Egypt and I bought the MacBook Pro from BestBuy, NY, so I can't really use my warranty here :(.

You're right. Virtualization software really isn't designed for playing games or any other 3D intensive task (and it has nothing to do with the amount of video RAM and everything to do with the way the GPU is emulated).

But just because your Windows install is buggered, doesn't mean you can't fix it. Most likely you're infested with malware. I would recommend installing Malware Bytes and running a scan. That may do the trick for you.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again, thank you very much. I'm going to start saving up to buy a new cd/dvd drive then. They are telling me that it might be a small problem that can be fixed instead of having to buy a new drive, but they all say that so you would give them your notebook and then pay a lot for a drive replacement. Plus, what if they take original parts from inside of it and add cheap ones or something so every time something happens to the computer, I'd have to resort to them to fix? People in Egypt are as crazy as anyone can get.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to ask you about something, as you might already know the USB Stick that has Windows on it works like a bootable cd except it's not a cd. I can actually install Windows using it. Turn the computer on, load into Windows, insert USB stick, and press Install Windows XP. I am not sure, but would that work since I already have an existing version of XP?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to ask you about something, as you might already know the USB Stick that has Windows on it works like a bootable cd except it's not a cd. I can actually install Windows using it. Turn the computer on, load into Windows, insert USB stick, and press Install Windows XP. I am not sure, but would that work since I already have an existing version of XP?

I don't believe so, because even external optical drives with real Windows install discs are known to not work.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Again, thank you very much. I'm going to start saving up to buy a new cd/dvd drive then. They are telling me that it might be a small problem that can be fixed instead of having to buy a new drive, but they all say that so you would give them your notebook and then pay a lot for a drive replacement. Plus, what if they take original parts from inside of it and add cheap ones or something so every time something happens to the computer, I'd have to resort to them to fix? People in Egypt are as crazy as anyone can get.

If you use an Apple Authorized Service Provider, they should be using genuine parts. It's not an overly complex repair.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't even know if it's authorized or not. They do sell almost every Apple product there is with warranty and everything, and they are the only ones who do that in Egypt (they have branches like every where). That company is called Trade Line, whereas the place that you repair Apple things at is called Apple Line (that's an official one, I believe). Anyhow, I took a look at the ifixit site you gave me and their tutorials are pretty awesome and easy-to-do. I just need to buy those:
* Phillips #00 Screwdriver
* Spudger
* T6 Torx Screwdriver
Because I don't think I have them here, plus, I don't know their names in Arabic in order to ask the people if they have them!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In order to ensure that the warranty is maintained following the repair, it's essential that you find out if they are an AASP. Check this site:

Apple - Central Europe, Middle East & Africa

And also, be aware that any repair you make yourself may invalidate your warranty.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:

I took my laptop to an Authorized Apple Store on Friday morning after calling them. I bought my laptop from New York and my warranty is there, till August 9th, 2009. I went to Apple.com > support > check warranty and checked by entering my laptop's Serial Number. However, the Apple store I went to told me that they will try to fix the Optical Drive, if it's not responding, then they will have to import an Optical Drive from Apple in New York, where I bought my laptop from, and I'll just have to pay for shipping.

Do you think that's the right procedure? Because I called them today morning and they said they fixed the Optical Drive, there was dust and stuff inside and it'll cost me about $35 USD, and the warranty can't cover that since they didn't import anything, they just fixed it. It's still under test till tomorrow (about 12 hours from now) then I'll take it back and I hope it'll work fine afterward.

By the way, I bought this case for my "15.4 inch MacBook Pro, do you think it's decent to put the laptop in it and take it to university with me? Because I usually have it in a backpack.
PAS15_MED.jpg

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot for all your help, cwa107, you're a great person. Keep it up :).

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Because I called them today morning and they said they fixed the Optical Drive, there was dust and stuff inside and it'll cost me about $35 USD, and the warranty can't cover that since they didn't import anything, they just fixed it.
That's the logic they used for not repairing this under warranty? That logic is dubious at best.

I have a laptop sleeve (for bringing my MB to school much like you do) and it has worked great. It keeps it insulated and protected enough while also ensuring that I don't have a large case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.