MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.1 13" Combo drive upgrade to superdrive - possible?

Reaction score
This is the 2.1GHz, 120 GB version with an 8x Combo Drive - is it possible/easy to replace this with a superdrive? Is it like replacing the standard hard drive (which I have done before - scary but ok) or is it completely different?
Any links to pages with step by step photos would be appreciated, thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it's possible to replace the original with a Superdrive. But, it's not as easy as replacing a hard drive as it requires quite a bit more disassembly.

OWC and ifixit both sell the Superdrive which by the way is not inexpensive. :(

Go to the ifixit site, look up your model and the replacement Superdrive. Then look up the step by step instructions for replacing the drive. That will give you some idea of cost and what it entails.

As an alternative, consider purchasing an external Superdrive for your MacBook.

iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

Regards.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ta

Thanks for that - I have thought about an external superdrive but when I did some research into it, it only applied to the Mac Air. Is there one cpmpatible with this version of the Macbook?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for that - I have thought about an external superdrive but when I did some research into it, it only applied to the Mac Air. Is there one cpmpatible with this version of the Macbook?

Yes, many models currently being sold are compatible. I'll include a link from OWC as an example, but you can find them at NewEgg, Amazon, Best Buy, and many other resellers.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.