how can I open a PHP file with Java?

Reaction score
mkay, so as stated on the title, i need help on Java.
I have this php file which used to be opened with java, but recently it opens with textedit instead. Can anyone tell me how to set it so that it opens with java again?
Thx

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What do you mean it opens with Java? Java is a programming language, not an end-user application per-se. The JRE/JDK is a collection of applications used to compile and run Java applications.

Is there a particular Java application that you are trying to open the files with? If so, right click the file and choose "Get Info". In the Info dialog, under "Open with:", choose the application in the drop down list.

OP
R
Reaction score
I actually don't know... it used to be like:
I open the file, and it says "java starting". Then it asks if i trust it or not. Then I say trust, and a thing called "noiz LAN emulator" will pop up. I don't know which application it is using at all.
Anyways, this is link to noiz... it's 3kb.
http://noiz.yb.sg/old/

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It wasn't opened with Java, something was using Java. A php file is nothing more than plain text that contains PHP code and this is why a text editor is trying to run in it. In most cases, PHP is executed by the server and the results are conveyed to the end user (look at the extension of this page for instance). So, I need to know what application was trying to run this php code. Was it running inside of the browser? If so, this is a Java applet issue.

OP
R
Reaction score
Ok, i figured out what application it was using. it was using application called "java web start". However, after i updated the java with software update, the program was deleted. So, is there any other way to open it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you mean from the site itself, find it elsewhere. If you mean you lost it on your machine, simply re-download it.

OP
R
Reaction score
well.. ok, how shall i say this...
I do have the program, and I have downloaded it tons of times.
There used to be a application called "java web start" in java file in utilities.
After the java update, java web start went missing and noiz does not run anymore.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is still installed as it is part of the Java Runtime Environment. This is how you can get it to work:
1. Open up Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
2. Type the following: javaws <url of application> (replace <url of application> with the url of the application

javaws, according to the man page, is the "Java Web Start command launcher".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.