iSight camera stopped working

Reaction score
My iMac running OS10.5.2 is just a little over a year old. Suddenly the camera is not working. PhotoBooth doesn't see it and neither does Skype. What could be the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
That happened to me with 10.5.7. I rebooted and it worked.

What was the last application you used the camera for, before it stopped working? Try opening and quitting it, and rebooting, and see if that works.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I tried that but it didn't work. Even downloaded the recommended update for that last app which was Quicktime and rebooted, still no sign of my camera. I've never had anything go broken on a Mac! and this one is only 1 yr and 1 mo. old. And hardly ever use the camera. Bummer. but I need it for Skype and fun with Photobooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If you boot from an external disk and have the same problem, the camera has failed. Then you need to decide, will you source a replacement camera and fit yourself, have it replaced for you or buy an external webcam.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.