Backup Disc Restoration issues

Reaction score
Hello all!

My problem I'm having is that when I attempt to restore a spanned set of Blu-ray backups using Roxio Toast 10 Pro's restore function I get a system error
-36. I'm pretty sure this is a mac error but I'm not to sure.
The blu-ray drive is an MCE #BD8XMPINT Running on a MAC PRO Quad Core Intel Xeon 2.8 ghz with 4gb of ram.

It's making me nervous that I can't delete my files yet till this is sussed out.

Thanks in advance

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Quoting Apple here

Type -36 error (I/O Errors (bummers)

This file is having difficulty while either reading from the drive or writing to the drive. The file may have been improperly written data to the drive or the hard drive or disk may be damaged. This is almost always indicative of a media error (hard error on the disk). Sometimes (rarely) it is transient.

Solutions: Try copying the file to another drive. Use a disk recovery software, such as Disk First Aid to examine the disk. You can try rebooting with all extensions off. Once in a while this will allow you to read the data. The file in question should be restored from a backup that was stored on a different disk. Regular backups can reduce the time to recover from this error.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the help I noticed that error note from Apple as well but they say at the top of the list it was an error form OS9????
The other thing is that these are Blu-Ray discs that have been backed up to from the Mac through Toast 10 Pro. Setup as data discs that spanned 3 discs because of the amount of data. If they are bunk discs than that totally sucks but do you think there might be something wrong with the Mac or how do I get around it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.