Time Machine Size Required?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp2.2G core2D, 4g ddr2, 750g, 1TB external, 80g I-Pod,iPad2 16g
I have a 1TB external drive for my macbook pro which is split into two partitions. One is for movies 700+gb and the other 200+gb for Time Machine. The HD on my macbook pro is 112gb. In Time Machine Options I have excluded both Movies and Backup mountings and then the pane tells me that the backup failed because there is insufficient room (approx 250gb required). Surely this is nonsense?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 1TB external drive for my macbook pro which is split into two partitions. One is for movies 700+gb and the other 200+gb for Time Machine. The HD on my macbook pro is 112gb. In Time Machine Options I have excluded both Movies and Backup mountings and then the pane tells me that the backup failed because there is insufficient room (approx 250gb required). Surely this is nonsense?

Replying to my own thread! I know it's ridiculous but it's an addition.

I wonder if Time Machine is affected by my using file vault? C'mon you brainiacs out there lets get some guidance here......Please.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yes, Time Machine and File Vault do not really play nice together.

I have not used File Vault, but there is plenty of info out there about the 2 of them searching google. Did not find one specifically mentioning partition size though. If your FileVaulted home folder was created in 10.4 and you did an upgrade to 10.5, it will not work with Time Machine, though there is a workaround.

If you're really that concerned with people accessing your data, most of the recommendations are not to use TM to back up FileVaulted folders as if that hard drive is stolen, the entire contents are easily accessible by a clean install to another machine.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks bobtomay

I didn't realise that filevault on a separate Hard drive could be mounted on a different computer and opened. I thought that FV made it so that if someone stole your Laptop they couldn't just take out the drive and get at your personal information etc., so I guessed that the same would apply to an external drive.

brunel

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Instead of TM if you're going to continue using FileVault, think I'd recommend SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner.

I have a similar setup, with my external in 2 partitions. I use SuperDuper! on one of them, which provides me a fully bootable backup drive. Now if your internal fails, you simply reboot to the external and can continue working until you have time to replace the failed drive. TM is a great idea, but once your internal drive fails, you're still doing nothing until you get a new drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Instead of TM if you're going to continue using FileVault, think I'd recommend SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner.

I have a similar setup, with my external in 2 partitions. I use SuperDuper! on one of them, which provides me a fully bootable backup drive. Now if your internal fails, you simply reboot to the external and can continue working until you have time to replace the failed drive. TM is a great idea, but once your internal drive fails, you're still doing nothing until you get a new drive.

Again thanks!

I have now switched off File Vault and of course Time Machine is working correctly. I'll get SuperDuper. The reason I used F.V. was because of Bank etc passwords which I keep in Notes in Mail and peoples addresses and other data in Address Book. Can you suggest or recommend another method to keep it secure. I'm not normally paranoid but would seriously regret having some of my data stolen as it could be used criminally?
brunel

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to go the free route, I used the Keychain for over 2 years and created Secure Notes for all my passwords, log-ins, serial numbers and other sensitive data. Just create a new Secure Note for each item with appropriate name. Once saved your master password has to be entered to view any of them.

I have over 300 of them. I finally got tired of needing to open the note whenever I went to a CC or Bank site, so about a month or so ago, I relented and purchased 1Password. It is pretty slick in that once set up, it auto syncs with my iPhone and so now I have my passwords, secure and encrypted, with me wherever I go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.