Time machine epic fail

Reaction score
Hello,

i did a bit of a thread hijack on sunday, sorry. So i thought i'd ask in its own separate thread.

sorry for n00b questions. Im not too sure what to do.

i had time machine back ups of my MBP. Had some problems with stuff on the laptop so re-installed OSX. Plugged the external HD back in and cannot see all of back ups. Just recent ones that its done after reinstall. I'm guessing its not good. I had 3 years worth of data on it which i need. Anything i can do to get it back?

Thanks

Ross

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
How did u do the re install? Was it an archive and install? If you have not reformatted the Back up HD it is probably still there but not being shown in current back up selections. Looking at Time Machine in Sys Prefs will show capacity available and used on the Ext HD and give a clue if your old stuff is still on the HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Hello,

i did a bit of a thread hijack on sunday, sorry. So i thought i'd ask in its own separate thread.

sorry for n00b questions. Im not too sure what to do.

i had time machine back ups of my MBP. Had some problems with stuff on the laptop so re-installed OSX. Plugged the external HD back in and cannot see all of back ups. Just recent ones that its done after reinstall. I'm guessing its not good. I had 3 years worth of data on it which i need. Anything i can do to get it back?

Thanks

Ross

If i may ask, what type of OS problems were you having? I'm having some speed issues with my MBP, and i'm thinking of formatting as well, though i do it all manually, i don't like those automated programs like Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
open the Backups.backupdb folder on ur external time machine drive... in there if u see 2 folders, one is back ups made after reformatting ur MBP HD & theother is ur old back up.

OP
R
Reaction score
@mknabster - just was showing basic knakeredness after filling it up over the years. Nice to run with out all the pointless log data and things that wern't properly deleted.

Feels like a brand you laptop now though. Well worth doing!! Doesn't take to long either.

@ everyone else. Thanks for your help am going to give it another look tomorrow.

R

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.