Ipod Touch long term storage

Reaction score
I have a friend going overseas for at least a year, and he cannot take any electronics with him. I am keeping his laptop and Ipod . How should the Ipod be stored, just shut off and plugged into a computer? I have my own, so using it is not an option.
I've researched the archives, and cannot find any answers.
Thanks for the help,
Miker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP (2009) 2.26GHz, 160GB, 2GB
Why would you want to plug it into a computer? Seems like just keeping it off in a drawer someplace should be sufficient, though it may be good to keep it charged around 50% for the battery's sake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'd say store it someplace nice and cool and make sure you charge it a little bit once every four or five months. Also, make sure it's actually off and not just in standby.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ipod storage

Thanks for the tips. I was gonna keep it plugged into the computer to keep it charged. I guess a little charging every few months will suffice.

Mike

"In Vegas, I got into a long argument with the man at the roulette wheel over what I considered to be an odd number

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook unibody (2009); iPod 3G (2004); iPhone 4
iPod in deep sleep - won't wake up

Hi all, I have an iPod 3G (yeah - as in super ancient 3G - got it in 2004). It was working just fine but ended up on the shelf for about a year. I just pulled it out and am trying to resuscitate it. Not going well. It won't turn on. I have it plugged in to charge but nothing happens. The screen is blank.

Any hope I can find a way to get it to power up again? Or is it too far gone?

Thanks, anyone, for your input!

Desperately seeking battery power,
rms64

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi all, I have an iPod 3G (yeah - as in super ancient 3G - got it in 2004). It was working just fine but ended up on the shelf for about a year. I just pulled it out and am trying to resuscitate it. Not going well. It won't turn on. I have it plugged in to charge but nothing happens. The screen is blank.

Any hope I can find a way to get it to power up again? Or is it too far gone?

Thanks, anyone, for your input!

Desperately seeking battery power,
rms64

Not sure exactly what iPod you are talking about as there was only the iPod Photo, iPod Mini and iPod Click Wheel/U2 Special Edition that came out in 2004 and NONE where a 3rd Generation or 3G ?? Little more info or Picture of the iPod would help us tremendously :)

And there was only the iPod w/ Touch Wheel, iPod w/ Scroll Wheel and iPod (Dock Connector) in the 2 yrs pre seeding the 2004 models. Only really 6 to choose from and still none where 3G . . .

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Regardless of which model it is, the likely cause is a dead battery. They're easy enough to change out with the right tools. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up your iPod model, and then the instructions for removing and replacing the battery. I have a very old click wheel model that I have gotten into with the ifixit instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Store the iPod with half battery. Once a month run it down and charge it back up to 50-75%.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.