List problems with OS 3 for iPhone 3g

Reaction score
I'm sure I am not the only one completely upset about OS 3...
Here are some of the problems I am having and if anyone has any ideas on how to fix them please let me know. Otherwise I am downgrading back to OS 2.

1. Horrible lagging....buttons are sticky sometimes not showing up 2-5 seconds after typed.
2. tilt screen for email and texting is terrible.
3. Tilt screen freezes half sideways, half upright.
4. Text messaging slow.
5. Phone is sucking battery life.(2 charge cycles today, first time ever since purchasing my 3g)
6. Lock screen freezes
7. iPhone spotlight is terrible and i wish I could turn it off. I find myself constantly sliding too far left on the screen and accidentally hitting a letter on spotlight. I wish apple would make it a Finder icon on the screen like on an Apple computer
8.AT&T should be shot for lying about MMS...supposedly MMS and internet tethering wont be available until September 2009. Also, AT&T is planning on charging in upwards of $50.00/month for the tethering option.

Also, if I plan on downgrading, where do I get OS 2???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like you're having a glitch, I've had none of those issues. You might want to try restoring the phone and see if it solves the problems

OP
M
Reaction score
I have restored the phone, and I know a few others with the same type of problems. Some with more problems, some with less. Regardless, it's ridiculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
The only problem I've had is my phone froze when trying to do landscape typing in notes, but it just went back to the home screen. No big problem, just a minor inconvenience.

Reaction score
Those I've found upgrading on the 3G so far:

• "Shake to Shuffle" destroys smart playlist (see other post)
  • When playing videos, touch screen to recall menu sometimes does not work

And things that were dying to be addressed and were not:
  • Allow verified email ailases in the email from field
  • Include a "mark all read" function in email
  • Remove the db searching function when typing - let me get the darned word/name typed before you slow down to check a list of entries
  • User defineable EQ settings (Apple flaw for forever)
  • Improved battery meter - showing real % left
  • Ability to delete photos from PC interface without iPhone reboot
  • Ability to carry off-line storage (movies, data) without iTunes sync

N

Notopi

Here are some of the problems I am having and if anyone has any ideas on how to fix them please let me know. Otherwise I am downgrading back to OS 2.

1. Horrible lagging....buttons are sticky sometimes not showing up 2-5 seconds after typed.
4. Text messaging slow.
5. Phone is sucking battery life.(2 charge cycles today, first time ever since purchasing my 3g)
6. Lock screen freezes
7. iPhone spotlight is terrible and i wish I could turn it off. I find myself constantly sliding too far left on the screen and accidentally hitting a letter on spotlight. I wish apple would make it a Finder icon on the screen like on an Apple computer
8.AT&T should be shot for lying about MMS...supposedly MMS and internet tethering wont be available until September 2009. Also, AT&T is planning on charging in upwards of $50.00/month for the tethering option.

All AT&T cares about is the money not what the customers want. Seriously TELL me what the problem is if older keypad phones can get MMS and they are on AT&T and the iPhone can't? What is the difference in MMS for "OLDER" phone and the "iPhone"?

Those I've found upgrading on the 3G so far:

• Ability to carry off-line storage (movies, data) without iTunes sync

You can do that but you'll need a small hack for iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've noticed one problem, but I'll chock it up to being more of a lack of optimization for the slower hardware. When I'm in an app, say Messages or Google Maps and I'm playing music, and decide to bring up the iPod HUD by double clicking the Home button, there seems to be a bit of lag. Previously, this was a very smooth process. The HUD would come up, I would tap the skip button, and then hit Close. Now there's a bit of a delay in each of those steps. I don't think it's a bug because it works just fine on the 3GS, so I'm thinking it needs a little tweaking to work better on the slower 3G hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know

4. Text messaging slow.
6. Lock screen freezes

I'm having all of those exact problems on my ipod touch after I downloaded 3.0 for it.
I wasn't going too, but 3.0 claimed that it would remember login info and automatically sign in to wifi networks and that was exactly what I was looking for.
So I downloaded it and it ABSOLUTELY SUCKS. It makes me enter the same login info to my college's wifi several times before it finally tells me it can't log me in.
Then, if I can get the wifi to work after fighting with it for several minutes I'll try to check my mail and it does the same thing. It says it can't retrieve my mail because I'm not connected to a network.
I NEVER had these problems until the day I downloaded 3.0. I should have just left well enough alone.
I want my 2.0 back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Charging $50/month for tethering was just a rumor. Also why do you expect to get it for free anyways? You have to pay for it with all the other phones too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
Friend of mine w/ iPhone 3G who upgraded to 3.0 has been having voicemail issues. He will see a missed call but if the person leaves a message he does not get it for several hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
So is the general consensus that 3.0 is worth it or not - this would be on a 3G?

If there is a 3.1 coming out soon, does that mean they have recognised bugs and are doing a quick bugfix? It seems rather soon otherwise for a 3.1 release. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've seen a few of these issues. Text lag, Voice mail lag and battery life primarily. I've also noticed that when the phone is doing multiple things, like playing music and receiving a text, I get some small audio glitches/conflicts between the two.

I suspect it is nothing that the next update or two won't sort out. If your unsure about upgrading then don't. Pretty simple.

As far as Tethering goes, AT&T charges everyone for the option so this is nothing new. Why AT&T is lagging on the MMS is anyone's guess but they suck anyhow so it doesn't really matter.

Reaction score
Y are ppl getting upset because they are going 2 charge for tethering? Like someone else said they charge for this with any phone and I know VZW charges for tethering as well. So 2 expect this for free is crazy.

Reaction score
My 3G iPhone seems to just run much slower than before....I figure it's a trick to get people with a 3G to upgrade to the 3GS

I hope 3.1 fixes these issues it's soooooo SLOW....especially texting

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.