The first 'Find My iPhone' story

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I read that yesterday. What a great but dumb example of how it can be useful. Great in that it's a great story of finding your iPhone but dumb in that three guys chased an unknown person through an unfamiliar city. All in all though, a great example of how the tech works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I read that yesterday. What a great but dumb example of how it can be useful. Great in that it's a great story of finding your iPhone but dumb in that three guys chased an unknown person through an unfamiliar city. All in all though, a great example of how the tech works.

Yeah, but I was thinking about that and really, I don't see how they had any other real option besides letting it go. They could have called the police, but even if they took the tracking feature seriously, I doubt they could have entered the building to search without a warrant. Unless the tracking data can be considered probable cause. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the future from a legal angle.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I agree that the police probably wouldn't have taken it too seriously along with all the legal limits that had to be observed. While that may be the case, you have to weigh the options - phone or potential problems that may cause more troube than the value of the phone. It will be interesting though in the future if the "Find my iPhone" feature proves to be useful in legal terms.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's not going to work all that great on a 1st gen either. I never get that type of accuracy out of mine. But the wipe option is great feature when you've got a lot of personal junk on it.

Reaction score
So, am I the only one who reads this and maybe is a bit curious whether he made this up?

I mean, it is getting a LOT of press (seen it several times now) and he does have a web-site

Just saying

Reaction score
Yeah, but I was thinking about that and really, I don't see how they had any other real option besides letting it go. They could have called the police, but even if they took the tracking feature seriously, I doubt they could have entered the building to search without a warrant. Unless the tracking data can be considered probable cause. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out in the future from a legal angle.

I would be legal for police to enter the building. There are similar things out that use similar systems if not the same.

LoJack for example someone steals your car and it ends up in a house/warehouse the police know its there because of Lojack.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.