Will voice command ever be available for Iphone 3G?

Reaction score
I just downloaded the new update for the 3G. I know that the voice command feature at this time is only available with the 3GS but i was wondering if they will be offering this in a future update or will i have to buy a 3GS to have this feature. I am happy that they gave us the copy & paste feature but i sure would like the voice command feature.

OP
S
Reaction score
No it wont...Jailbreak your phone and experience all that your missing out on
I've never done that before and i must admit i am a little hesitant to try. From what i read you can screw things up if you don't know what you are doing. How do you go about jailbreaking & is it wise to do so?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've never done that before and i must admit i am a little hesitant to try. From what i read you can screw things up if you don't know what you are doing. How do you go about jailbreaking & is it wise to do so?

It certainly is possible to screw your phone up, and is not something you should do unless you are the tinkering type and are capable of following and understanding instructions. I've jailbroken mine in the past and have yet to mess anything up, but some people have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Why did 3G owners get left behind on this one? If you jailbreak you can have it. One of the google apps has it, so you know the phone can do it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why did 3G owners get left behind on this one? If you jailbreak you can have it. One of the google apps has it, so you know the phone can do it...

Probably because the iPhone 3Gs is MUCH faster and the voice command feature, which utterly spanks what the 3rd-party options offer, likely relies on that extra processing power. Apple could have probably put some sort of voice command on the other phones, but they would pale in comparison to what the 3Gs' can do, and Apple is all about the experience.

OP
S
Reaction score
I wonder how much it would cost to just get a new 3GS. It is such a shame since i just bought the 3G last christmas. I would think about getting a new phone & a new plan if they wouldnt charge me out the wazoo to get out of my current plan. I guess this is how they make their money. A soon as you buy the new gizmo they come out with a better gizmo that you have to buy since you cant upgrade the current gizmo to get all the bells & whistles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder how much it would cost to just get a new 3GS. It is such a shame since i just bought the 3G last christmas. I would think about getting a new phone & a new plan if they wouldnt charge me out the wazoo to get out of my current plan. I guess this is how they make their money.

They charge you out the wazoo because your 3G iPhone is subsidized and they haven't made back the money yet via your monthly subscriptions. No one is going to give away $600-$800 smartphones (that are essentially miniature computers) to be nice.

A soon as you buy the new gizmo they come out with a better gizmo that you have to buy since you cant upgrade the current gizmo to get all the bells & whistles.

You can upgrade. They just won't subsidize it because you haven't finished paying yet for the old one. This is how it works across every carrier for every subsidized phone. All of them.

OP
S
Reaction score
They charge you out the wazoo because your 3G iPhone is subsidized and they haven't made back the money yet via your monthly subscriptions. No one is going to give away $600-$800 smartphones (that are essentially miniature computers) to be nice.

Well that makes sense now that you explain it. This was my first iphone & i do like it but it is such a shame that after 3 or 4 months the thing that they were touting as the next generation of smart phones is already obsolete. I guess thats true for most of the tech products that you buy but i wonder in 4 months if the 3GS customers are going to be in the same position that i am when the 4.0 comes out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Probably because the iPhone 3Gs is MUCH faster and the voice command feature, which utterly spanks what the 3rd-party options offer, likely relies on that extra processing power. Apple could have probably put some sort of voice command on the other phones, but they would pale in comparison to what the 3Gs' can do, and Apple is all about the experience.

Come on man, you know this isn't true. Think about it logically. They won't offer it because it's a FEATURE of their NEW phone which they want to SELL. Take one or more features away from the new phone by having it be on the older phone, and people have less of a reason to update.

He11, voice command is a feature which has been around forever, and on the shabbiest of phones out there. Meaning, with processors that are years behind what the 3g has inside of it. You can say exactly the same thing for video, too. Heck, my silly Sony Ericsson W810i does video, minus the gimmicky "editing" feature which is touted on the 3G s.

And this is mostly why I won't be purchasing an iPhone this time around. I'll wait for next year, when the upgrade will actually be worth it. I'm thinking OLED screen, dual processors and running background apps... (hence the dual processor need) I mean, at the iPhone's current development rate, there's not many other places they can go with the current hardware/software. Something totally new is going to have to enter into the equation. And video, voice command and a silly 3mp camera don't count. These features on the 3g s are hardly any better than most other phones with said features on them, which have existed for years.

I'd personally stick with a jailbroken 3G until we see what happens next year. I find the current offering hardly worthy of spending $$ on .
Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Come on man, you know this isn't true. Think about it logically. They won't offer it because it's a FEATURE of their NEW phone which they want to SELL. Take one or more features away from the new phone by having it be on the older phone, and people have less of a reason to update.

I don't know that it is or isn't true... it's largely speculation on my part.

He11, voice command is a feature which has been around forever, and on the shabbiest of phones out there. Meaning, with processors that are years behind what the 3g has inside of it. You can say exactly the same thing for video, too. Heck, my silly Sony Ericsson W810i does video, minus the gimmicky "editing" feature which is touted on the 3G s.

If I'm not mistaken, the shabiest of phones out there don't do voice control like the iPhone does. It seems the last time I messed with it on another phone (or maybe it was the demo for the app available for jailbroken iPhones early on), I had to set up a list of voice calls, record the name in my voice for each one, and otherwise "train" the software to understand my voice. This is a far cry from how the iPhone 3GS works, which "simply works". I'm speculating that this requires something a bit more computing power than what the older iPhones afford. I may be wrong, but please do point out another cell phone that does voice control as simply as the iPhone 3GS does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that makes sense now that you explain it. This was my first iphone & i do like it but it is such a shame that after 3 or 4 months the thing that they were touting as the next generation of smart phones is already obsolete. I guess thats true for most of the tech products that you buy but i wonder in 4 months if the 3GS customers are going to be in the same position that i am when the 4.0 comes out.

Actually it likely will be in a year (so far it's been a year between iPhone hardware updates), but yes, we 3GS owners will be in the same position. And I'll likely be perfectly satisfied with what I have despite that... it's simply not reasonable or affordable to expect to always have the latest and greatest.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't know that it is or isn't true... it's largely speculation on my part.

If I'm not mistaken, the shabiest of phones out there don't do voice control like the iPhone does. It seems the last time I messed with it on another phone (or maybe it was the demo for the app available for jailbroken iPhones early on), I had to set up a list of voice calls, record the name in my voice for each one, and otherwise "train" the software to understand my voice. This is a far cry from how the iPhone 3GS works, which "simply works". I'm speculating that this requires something a bit more computing power than what the older iPhones afford. I may be wrong, but please do point out another cell phone that does voice control as simply as the iPhone 3GS does.

Granted I've yet to experience the 3GS's voice recognition, but what you're referring to on other phones is not true of the ones I've owned. My 4 year old Moto RAZR, Moto W755 and now my work-issued LG enV2 all recognize names and commands without having to train or otherwise record my voice. Basically you just say "Call", then "Name", then the category of the number (i.e. Work, Home, Mobile).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Granted I've yet to experience the 3GS's voice recognition, but what you're referring to on other phones is not true of the ones I've owned. My 4 year old Moto RAZR, Moto W755 and now my work-issued LG enV2 all recognize names and commands without having to train or otherwise record my voice. Basically you just say "Call", then "Name", then the category of the number (i.e. Work, Home, Mobile).

I stand corrected then. Well actually I'm sitting. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Does the 3G still do what you want it to? Does it still run all the apps in the App Store? Then it's obsolete. The new version simply has a few new features, it wasn't a revolutionary change.

Also, 4.0 isn't coming out in a few months, it'll be out next summer. And you know what? You'll be able to upgrade the 3G to the 4.0 software too. You'll also still be able to run any of the applications in the App Store. So even then it won't be obsolete. Stop being so melodramatic.

Reaction score
One thing that is not good is that you can never stay on top of the tech curve because by the time you sacrifice to get one of the latest iphones, they come out with another....***? I remember paying an arm and a leg to get the original iphone 2g. They then insulted me by offering a better 3g for less money. Then I buckled down and got the 16g 3g, and then they dropped the price again, and doubled the size with a 32g 3gs....See the pattern?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
One thing that is not good is that you can never stay on top of the tech curve because by the time you sacrifice to get one of the latest iphones, they come out with another....***? I remember paying an arm and a leg to get the original iphone 2g. They then insulted me by offering a better 3g for less money. Then I buckled down and got the 16g 3g, and then they dropped the price again, and doubled the size with a 32g 3gs....See the pattern?

Isn't the same true of all cell phones?

Think about it.... we started out with huge bag phones, then there were handheld phones the size of a brick, then they got smaller and had more features. Eventually, they got color screens and could play games. Later they got cameras. Then they started coming out with smartphones that integrated PDA functionality.

With each iteration, they got cheaper, faster and more feature rich. This is technology. It doesn't matter what company makes it. Would you rather they just freeze the model in time and wait for the rest of the industry to catch up and surpass?

OP
S
Reaction score
Does the 3G still do what you want it to? Does it still run all the apps in the App Store? Then it's obsolete. The new version simply has a few new features, it wasn't a revolutionary change.

Also, 4.0 isn't coming out in a few months, it'll be out next summer. And you know what? You'll be able to upgrade the 3G to the 4.0 software too. You'll also still be able to run any of the applications in the App Store. So even then it won't be obsolete. Stop being so melodramatic.

I dont mean to be melodramatic. I am just voicing my frustration that i cant get such a cool feature as the voice command on my current phone. I bought my current iphone for Christmas. If i would have known that they would be coming out with this phone now i might have waited until now to get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.