"wireless network appears to have been compromised..."

Reaction score
hi to all you knowledgeable mac users

i've had a mac for a few years (macbook, running os x 10.4.11) with no problems with airport/internet etc. had cable installed today, and they gave me a new modem (netgear cvg824g).

i'm able to connect, but after a minute or so a box will pop up saying "the wireless network appears to have been compromised and will be disabled for a minute", and then disconnects itself.

i've googled this, and it seems that a lot of other people have had the same problem, but it's all a little over my head. i think it seems to be a ?security problem - i have to change my password to WPA2 rather than WPA? i can do that on my system preferences on my computer, but i'm not sure how to do it on the modem. i also tried changing the modem channel but it didn't seem to make any difference.

i'd REALLY appreciate some help! in as basic terms as you can possible explain it! or point me in the right direction.

thanks for any help you can give me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
You need to change it in your router, so you will need your admin password for the router to access the settings. What router are you using?

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. It's a netgear wireless router CVG824G (that's what's written on the router). I've managed to turn off security on the router and my computer system preferences, but obviously that's not ideal long term. When I try to change the password on the router to WAP2 etc, but it asks me for a "radius key" - I don't know what that means.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi all - think it's sorted now, so thanks for your help (figured out how to change to WPA2). cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.53GHz
Hi Guys, Just to say, I've had this same problem since purchsing a new Macbook Pro. I eventually phoned Apple Customer Care. They advised me to change the channel on my router - no use. I cannot change my TKIP to AES, my Orange Livebox router does not have that facility. No question is this - why did my 1 year old Macbook running the latest updated Leopard have no problems connecting, and my nice shiny new Macbook Pro have this error message??? It's infuriating, esecially since when it cuts my connection to the web, it cuts off my family too! I'm not popular at the moment.

Reaction score
Finally, someone with exactly the same problem as me - Livebox, therefore stuck with WPA-TKIP and intermittent access with Airport. Time to change provider I think.

[Edit] I might have found a solution: DailyTech - MacBook Pro AirPort Auto Connect and Connection Drop Issues Solved?. So far so good with no drops. Another solution (apparently from the genius bar) is to place the ethernet service below the airport one: MacBook Pro AirPort issues solved.

[Edit 2] Feeling a bit nervous about following the last instruction to delete the Library > SystemConfiguration directory I rolled back the changes and tried the other solution, ie to reorder the services. This has worked too. I'll see if it lasts ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody (Jan 09)
I had this issue when I replaced my WRT54G with a WRT610N. You have to change TKIP to AES and all will be good.

Reaction score
I gave Orange Mac Technical support a call and they talked me through the solution. Each Orange Livebox has 13 channels. However, other wireless devices may interfere with the Livebox, especially if it's using one of the lower channels. He explained that most devices only have up to 9 channels.

First, turn Airport off and connect using the ethernet table. Make sure you can connect to the internet using this to ensure the problem isn't the Livebox.

Next, in a browser launch http://configuration.adsl. After logging in select Security > Wireless Connection. Change the channel to 11 or higher and click submit. Next go to Configuration > Advanced > Wireless and click Submit (WPA selected).

Finally, disconnect the ethernet cable and turn Airport on and it should connect successfully. I did this about 5 hours ago and haven't lost the connection once. Two of these hours I was watching the BBC iPlayer without any pauses at all.

Reaction score
I seem to have solved the problem by changing my router's security settings from WPA2-PSK to WPA-PSK.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I think they may have too as this thread has been unansweed for seven years!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.