Will the Late 08' Aluminum Macbook run 802.11N with new Airport Extreme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Aluminum Macbook!
I have the olddddd dome shaped Airport Extreme 802.11G bought back when THAT was breakthrough technology!

The range sucks on it, the speed is terrible unless you are within 20 direct feet (Without walls, etc)

So, I'm getting the new Airport Extreme which has the 802.11N capability. Since Apple already screwed me by discontinuing the Aluminum Macbook and making it the MBP, I was wondering (hoping actually) that I have 802.11N in my alum macbook. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have the olddddd dome shaped Airport Extreme 802.11G bought back when THAT was breakthrough technology!

The range sucks on it, the speed is terrible unless you are within 20 direct feet (Without walls, etc)

So, I'm getting the new Airport Extreme which has the 802.11N capability. Since Apple already screwed me by discontinuing the Aluminum Macbook and making it the MBP, I was wondering (hoping actually) that I have 802.11N in my alum macbook. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks!

Since you seem to have lost your manual, check Everymac.
Macs Released in 2008 - Macs By Year Introduced @ EveryMac.com

And stop the boo hooing about Apple making changes to their product lines. Everyone else does it in every industry... and they don't do it to screw people. This incessant whining from people like you gives the rest of us Apple customers a bad rep.

Reaction score

Thanks!

Yes. Your MB supports 802.11N.

How did Apple screw you by releasing a new model? Did you MB stock working? It is slower now?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
I have the same AirPort 802.11G. I need a new one too.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Aluminum Macbook!
Since you seem to have lost your manual, check Everymac.
Macs Released in 2008 - Macs By Year Introduced @ EveryMac.com

And stop the boo hooing about Apple making changes to their product lines. Everyone else does it in every industry... and they don't do it to screw people. This incessant whining from people like you gives the rest of us Apple customers a bad rep.

LOL. relax man, sorry, I come from car forums and sarcasm is a daily thing over there. I won't use it here...

I'm kidding around, I love Apple and couldn't care any less that they rebranded the laptop I bought. Maybe someday it will be a collectors piece ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Aluminum Macbook!
I do have one question though... What is the deal with this 802.11N (draft)

I don't understand... From what I read it's the new wireless technology in the making, but its not perfected yet... Will this new Airport Extreme allow itself to UPDATE to the 802.11N once it's fully released and working? Or will that be another purchase? Will the upgrade from draft N to plain N be a software update or a hardware purchase is what I'm asking. Thanks!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New Aluminum Macbook!
I just called Apple and it seems the guy told me that if they were to ever revise 802.11N further from the draft-n spec, it would be a software update no need to buy a new piece. He said the one I ordered yesterday is their latest one with dual antennas etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
LOL. relax man, sorry, I come from car forums and sarcasm is a daily thing over there. I won't use it here...

I'm kidding around, I love Apple and couldn't care any less that they rebranded the laptop I bought. Maybe someday it will be a collectors piece ;)

I know sarcasm when I see it. I'm a master of it myself. This forum has been riddled with whiners lately about how Apple is screwing them on the iPhone, the MacBook, and everything else under the sun. Your "sarcasm" was indistinguishable from the real McCoys. Something to dwell on so you can refine your technique. :Sleeping:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.