Refurbished Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
what does the refurbished mac means? second hand macbooks?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but is it any good? like will be break down easily or smth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I bought my current 15" uni MBP refurbished. It had a bad airport setup when it came. However, I took it to the apple store and they fixed it on the spot. They replaced the whole screen along with the airport setup. The only way you can tell the difference(actually looking) between a refurbished and a new mac is by the box it comes in. You have to remember, you are buying the same thing at a considerable price advantage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Refurbs are returned stock. Apple fixes them up if needed, tests them, and passes on a deal to the customer.

I've bought two refurbs...

The first was a 867MHz dual processor G4 tower. No problems what so ever and looked flawless. It is still working fine today.

My second one is a first generation Macbook Pro 15". It had some issues which Apple fixed. I haven't had any issues since.

Refurbs come with a 1 year warranty and you can buy the extended warranty. I did buy that for my laptop.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so basically, if budgets a problem, refurbished mac + applecare basically solves everything?

i just got a macbookpro 13'', am a switcher, and my gf is pretty impressed with it. but she's stuck with a 2 year old acer which is still working pretty well. so im trying to scout for cheap alternatives for her and came across the refurbished section.

Reaction score
Pretty much. Refurbs are in limited quantity so keep an eye out for one with the specs you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
so basically, if budgets a problem, refurbished mac + applecare basically solves everything?

If you are on a tight budget, you could buy Applecare later, within the first year of the purchase date.

I think the warranty is somewhat worth it specifically because of the cost of replacing a bad LCD. Still, I consider it an expensive option. I have ended up using it to replace the power supply which had a frayed cable. I did that exchange in Canada but bought the computer in the U.S. where I live. On the other hand, Apple refused to replace an exhausted battery because of the high recycle count!

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is it possible to upgrade a refurbished mac? as in when purchasing it. are there options to upgrade like the ram and stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I don't think so - you buy it as it is. Anyway, you would do much better buying extra RAM, hard drive etc. from somewhere else and installing it yourself. It is considerably cheaper.

Reaction score
Mbp 15

idrinorbarsaku, interestingly I also recently purchased a refurbished MB Pro 15" and had the network card die after about 2 months of use. Seems a little strange. They fixed it and replaced the display in 2 days over at the apple store, so it was similarly no big deal.

I've also bought an airport express and an apple tv refurbed, and those actually came in the same box and everything as the retail. Never had a problem with either of those.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.