upgrade to 10.5.7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quicksilver 2002, Dual G4 1ghz 768mb 40gb USB2.0 OSX 10.5.6
I thought I read that peoples machines were overheating and having all sorts of issues after upgrading to 10.5.7, is this true and is this still a problem or is it safe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.4g, 4gb Ram | iPod Touch 8GB
i am running 10.5.7 on both my iMac and my MBP without any issues at all. ask me? it's safe.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where are you reading this? I haven't read this nor experienced it myself.

Reaction score
Where are you reading this? I haven't read this nor experienced it myself.
You can use Google to find articles like this and this. Apparently 10.5.7 affects some Macs and not others. So if your Mac is affected by the upgrade, then that doesn't mean others will too. But if yours isn't, that doesn't mean others won't. In other words, YMMV.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You're correct. I was just try to imply that the 10.5.7 update isn't a catastrophe of an update that will overheat all Macs. I was trying to make the case that this incident appears to be isolated to a few individuals.

To the OP, if you are really concerned, you can one of three things:
1. Don't update and stick with 10.5.6.
2. Back up everything you have, update and monitor your machine. If all goes well, you're fine. If not, at least you have a backup in case a drastic solution is in order (such as reinstalling OS X).
3. Stick with 10.5.6 for now and wait for 10.5.8, which I hear is being tested now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You can use Google to find articles like this and this. Apparently 10.5.7 affects some Macs and not others. So if your Mac is affected by the upgrade, then that doesn't mean others will too. But if yours isn't, that doesn't mean others won't. In other words, YMMV.
You can use Google to find anything. There's a lot of crazy stuff on this Internet thing.

Nothing is ever perfect. You'll find loads of people who had problems with 10.5.7 if you go looking for them. You'll also find loads of people who had problems upgrading to 10.5.6, or 10.5.0, or 10.4.11, or any other version of any other OS you try.

Reaction score
You can use Google to find anything. There's a lot of crazy stuff on this Internet thing.

Nothing is ever perfect. You'll find loads of people who had problems with 10.5.7 if you go looking for them. You'll also find loads of people who had problems upgrading to 10.5.6, or 10.5.0, or 10.4.11, or any other version of any other OS you try.
In other words, people who report problems on the Internet are always lying? Yes, I know there are loads of people who had problems with other upgrades. So what? I didn't say everybody has problems with 10.5.7. I said some do, and if you check these Forums you'll find out who some of them are.

You need to escape from the Reality Distortion Field.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
There's an easy way to avoid these kinds of problems. Make it a habit to always do a full backup with a program like SuperDuper before sound ANY major system modification. This way you can easily revert back if you need to.

As for 10.5.7, the majority of the reports I've read seem to revolve around doing a straight upgrade via Software Update. If you're going to do it, I'd highly recommend downloading the Combo Update.

Another suggestion would be to ensure that all third party apps are up-to-date using a program like AppFresh.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.