Mac Newbie: Simple FTP Question

Reaction score
Okay, here's the deal... I have Godaddy hosting (windows not linux) for my sites.

On a PC, I used to be able to access the ftp through an ftp client, dreamweaver or just a folder...

On a Mac, no matter how I try to connect to my FTP server this happens:

When using a Finder window to "drag and drop" files into my FTP folder it won't let me, saying I don't have access.

When attempting to use an FTP client (ClassicFTP) it says it's "unable to connect"...

Is there some switch I'm not turning on or something?

Thanks for the help!
Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
I'm not sure I understand why you'd need a folder in finder. You use an FTP client to select the directory that your files are in, then input the remote location. Just drag and drop!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I know nothing about ClassicFTP at all. I have never really worked with Godaddy as far as connecting Via FTP. Are you sure all your settings are correct? Some FTP servers want SFTP (Secure) and I have seen some not connect unless Passive Transfers were checked.

You could give Cyberduck a try and see if that connects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's strange. Godaddy is a MAJOR hosting service. Check and see if they have customer support that you can contact about this. You should have no trouble with FTP at all.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I use GoDaddy myself and have had no troubles with either Cyberduck or Espresso. Are you sure you have put in the right username/password combination?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My dad uses it and it works fine. Not to mention, he's using the most rudimentary FTP software there is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
My dad uses it and it works fine. Not to mention, he's using the most rudimentary FTP software there is.

That is good but we are trying to find out why it doesn't work for this person! :)

icarus086, check your settings and information again. It has to be something there that isn't correct.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use GoDaddy myself and have had no troubles with either Cyberduck or Espresso. Are you sure you have put in the right username/password combination?

Van, did you have to do any special settings like SFTP or did the stock settings work?

I still think he should try Cyberduck as that seems to work everywhere I have ever tried it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Agree with the others here, use Cyberduck or Transmit.
The Finder has read-only access to FTP servers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15 | iPhone 3G
Jason,

I have a few clients with Godaddy and ran into similar problem last fall. It probably has to do with the way you have set up your remote client in Dreamweaver (DW).
I looked at the "Remote view" settings in DW for these 2 clients and one is set up as follows:
Client1
FTP host: myclient1.com (client actual url goes here without www)
Host: (this field left blank for THIS client)
Login: username
Password: secretpassword

Client2
FTP host: myclient2.com (client actual url goes here without www)
Host: /username/
Login: username
Password: secretpassword2

My suggestion is to fiddle around with this and call Godaddy customer support. Then when you fix this - switch hosting companies. I've been using bluehost.com and find their system of setting up clients is much more intuitive.

Good luck!

OP
I
Reaction score
Wow!

I can't believe all the help for this, thanks! I'm going to try using the other ftp's and the other settings, thanks for all of the effort, I'll post again with the results.

It is helpful to know that the finder doesn't have write access. That solves at least the issue with that already.

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.