The story of the switcher to be...

J

jessica

I bought a Powerbook a few weeks ago, it was delivered and well---the rest is obvious. I called my mom and told her all about it. She said I was nuts...just plain nuts to spend $2400 on a stupid laptop when I can get a Dell, Compaq, HP or IBM for much less! She said I would regret the **** out of it. I giggled while staring at my backlit keyboard.

Fast forward to three days later. My mom sends me an e-mail saying she may have infected everyone with a virus. I laugh again and delete her e-mail because I was on my powerbook. I e-mailed her back with nothing but a picture of an apple.

Today...
Today was my day out shopping with my mom. It was loads of fun...if you enjoy spending hours in shoe stores and clothing stores in a crowded *** mall. I do not dig that, but I knew that the mall had an apple store and I was SURE to get something for my birthday. I walked around, carried her bags, did the daughterly things and then we walk around the corner and white lit apple goodness awaits. I show her the 30" displays, she laughed, I showed her the smallest one...she said "neat". I showed her the ipods and stuff. I picked up an icurve and a timbuk2 bag. Love them! just the things I wanted. I grab a shuffle dock for my new shuffle and a midi keyboard. I turn around and my mom is playing on a powerbook! hah she is hooked! She talks to the sales person and next thing you know she spots an imac. She falls in love. She is buying it. She loved the 20" but thought the 17 was more her style since she wants something smaller. She surfs the net, works in excel and word, and loads up photos and uses typical camera-included photo editing software. She'll never use garage band or anything like that. I advise her to get the 1.8GHz and I'll buy her another stick of RAM if she doesn't just to ensure there is no lag. My mom is less than patient and I can just see the BS calls about how the imac is no faster than her current 1.2ghz 768mb ram 32mb video card HP PC.

So there you have it...a switcher to be. The very lady who called me NUTS for spending more money on an Apple just because I thought it was better. My own mother who said, "is it fast...the rep says YES, does this cute mouse come with it? He says YES. She says, "I'm sold."

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
So, about how many days from the time she called you nuts to the day she purchased an iMac G5? That's a great story. What a typical mom, she was sold on the cute mouse. Reminds me of my mom. My mom wants a powerbook, but she's going to wait for awhile. My mom is obsessed with the backlit keyboard, so every other question about macs is "Oh, does that one come with a backlit keyboard?" No, mother. How about this one? Nope, no backlit keyboard for that one either, mom. How about...? No, mom.

Another thing she likes bother me about is when new mac coming out. I tell her about the Mac mini. So now she keeps asking me, when is the Mac daddy coming out. She's relentless; I tell you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very cool! Great story. Made my night. I had a bad day and it's nice to end it with some good news! Hope your mom loves the Imac G5!! Great machine for anything she will ever do and a lot more.

OP
J

johncpiercy

Im soon to be a switcher

Just ordering a 12inch PB w/Super Drive

Never touched a MAc , ever

Built PC's .,,installed , Formatted and tweaked XP

Im getting sick of the Spyware , Virus threats , etc etc

Stories like this make me glad that Im buying a PB laptop

JP :miner:

OP
D

Desolate One

Brilliant story! I'm hoping to sell my folks soon. I'll be setting them up w/ a webcam for AIM so we can video conference. I'll of course have my iBook on hand to "test" it out w/ them... Well more like amaze them w/ iChat's video quality!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Can I ask a silly question? Why doesn't Microsoft do whatever Apple has done so that viruses are no longer existant for its operating system?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
mike518 said:
Can I ask a silly question? Why doesn't Microsoft do whatever Apple has done so that viruses are no longer existant for its operating system?

Because that would mean transforming their entire OS to a Unix based system, and dogs in Redmond are a bit to pig headed to admit that Unix is better.(Since they already told people "unix is not better."

OP
J

Jordan

Good for you guys. However, I wish I knew (was related to, or better yet, was the person) people who can just drop a few Large for a computer on a whim like that.

Still, enjoy regardless of my envy.

Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
ApplejustWorks said:
Because that would mean transforming their entire OS to a Unix based system, and dogs in Redmond are a bit to pig headed to admit that Unix is better.(Since they already told people "unix is not better."

Ohhh I see, so now even if they wanted to change over, they'd have to 'bit the bullet' so to speak and cop a fair bit of crap from a range of users, lol. Thanks for the insight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" iBook G4
Nice story Jess, Amazing how people can go into an Apple store not that interested in their stuff and then have to be dragged out or they come out with a nice shing white Apple product!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.