Getting cross-platform consistency

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hey all,

i stupidly said that i know a little html at work a few years ago and so we started doing html newsletters. im a print designer (not web) and my boss is totally freaking on me because the newsletter doesnt look the same in all mail clients and platforms. ive explained to her that its basically impossible to get html to look the same on every browser/email client and between mac and pc (ive told her this probably 15-20 times) and that the user sets their font sizes. so, anyway, im using go-live cs to build the newsletter and have assigned css styles to all the fonts. is there ANY way possible to get the newsletter to show up the same on every computer (i know there's not but i have to ask just so i can show her)? we cant use flash and we dont want to just all images because of spam filters. any help would be great. thanks.

edit: i guess a simpler question is: is there a way to override the users font setting on their browser/email client to reflect what ive designed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Images will do it, but that's a lot of work :)
Just so you know, I can't change what your boss does, but many people hate HTML email messages. Also, some email clients do NOT display HTML, and some that do have a setting so it can be turned off.

Reaction score
There's nothing you can do about it really. E-mail formatting is controlled at the destination, not the source. My suggestion would be to either start a website for your newsletters or stop doing HTML newsletters altogether.

OP
mcjacksonnelson
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
hey guys,

thanks for your responses. i figured theres nothing i can do really. we tried doing all-image newsletters, but my boss said we cant do that anymore because they were coming up as spam, because of all the problems with infected and corrupted images cause. shes pretty obsessed with these newsletters. sending out 3-4 a week! heh, thanks again.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
3-4 a week???!!!!! Holy moly!!!

Those companies incoming e-mails are the ones that get senders added to the blocked list on my machines.
Now I never even see a single one from them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Consider using PDF.

Your bosses obsession is simply unrealistic for HTML. Consider resigning your responsibility for this nuisance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.