Bad Setup, or just bad internet?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've got a MacBookPro working on wireless through my house, my Time Machine is the "wireless network", but that itself is connected to a wireless router ( though the wireless part is off ), which is a Netgear, the only Router that works on my crappy ISP ( Karoo ), connected through ethernet.
If I go on Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test I get "7 MB/s", but when downloading using Firefox or Safari ( all updated ) I get lucky with 1MB/s. This is the same with my iPhone, the SpeedTest.net app tells me 3MB/s or so, but it only 'seems' ( from knowing the app size ) to be around 0.5/1MB/s.
Is this a mac issue, do I need to change some setting on mac, on my router, or on my Time Machine?
Also, slightly off topic, if I turn on my Route r+ Time Machine, with my iPhone already on, then turn on my Laptop, I get an IP configuration error, meaning EVERYTHING must be restarted or NOTHING has any internet :( Any ideas?
Thanks
Joe
P.s Sorry for the long post ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.