iphoto questions

Reaction score
I've been messing around with iphoto trying to learn how to use it on my own but there are some things that i still can't quite figure out myself...

When editing a file on iphoto, how do i save it separate (save as) from the original? I was editing one earlier but i couldn't figure out how to save a different version of it without overiting the original.

Also, how do i get a thumbnail photo into full screen mode? I know that double clicking it enlarges it within the iphoto window but i can't seem to zoom in and out in this mode.

Finally, i've managed to drop a whole bunch of photo's from my hard drive into iphoto and organize them, something i've never been able to do on my old laptop running xp or my vista pc. I was wondering if there was any way i could save them in my hard drive in the order i have them in on iphoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Hi Guinness,
Re (1) iPhoto always saves the original and hides it. You can always chose to revert to original by right clicking on the thumbnail and selecting 'Revert to Original'. A belt and braces approach would be to copy the photo first and edit that - that way you will see both the edited one and original in iPhoto.

Re (2) Either highlight the thumbnail or the double clicked 'big' photo and select View, Full Screen or press Alt, Cmd and F. Hit Esc to come out of full screen.

Re (3) I don't think it's possible but I'll be watching this thread to see if it can be done!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
re (3) I'm not so sure that could be done either. But I do know that if you try moving around the photos outside of iPhoto you will loose the photos in iPhoto and will have to reimport them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody
Re (2) You can also right click, or control-click, on the photo and select "Edit using full screen". iPhoto '08 is like that, but I'm not sure about '09.

Reaction score
There is NO Save As in iPhoto. The Original photo is tucked away, you only see a copy or the latest edited file. iPhoto will never edit your original photo, it is always keep as you imported it. If you want to have 2 versions of the same photo showing in iPhoto got to iPhoto's menu at the top and under "Photo" click on "Duplicate" and give it a new name.
If you mess up an edit or need to go back to the Original "Right click or Control click" on the photo's thumbnail and select "Revert to Original".

To "Zoom" Click Edit in the tool bar down below the thumbnails. Once in the EDIT view you will see a slider that will let you Zoom.

Now a word of Caution about messing with your photos on your hard drive once you have them in iPhoto. If you are keeping a Backup of your photos outside of iPhoto then any change you make to those files will cause iPhoto to lose track and not be able to find the file. If you want to keep backups like that and be able to rename or move those files make sure you have "Copy items to the iPhoto Library" checked in iPhoto's Preferences under the "Advanced" tab. That way iPhoto will keep a copy of the Original in it's data base. I find I have very few reasons to ever touch a photo outside if iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" uMBP: iPhone 4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.