Electricity keeps going out

Reaction score
Hi:

I have an iMac, and the electricity in the house keeps going out and.....of course the computer gets zapped.

Do I have to do anything to "fix" the computer when it gets shut off incorrectly?

THANKS....it is so annoying when that happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No, but make sure you have good surge protection, and by that I mean one that constantly monitors power.

Reaction score
I have the same problem here in Florida in the summer with all the thunderstorms. I actually have mine in an ups so that when the power goes out I can at least do a shutdown. We do get lots of spikes here in the summer and my iMac is protected on UPS which is also a line conditioner. I would highly recommend this approach for anybody with computers or plasma TVs as they really don't like spikes at all.

OP
silvermac4108
Reaction score
I have the same problem here in Florida in the summer with all the thunderstorms. I actually have mine in an ups so that when the power goes out I can at least do a shutdown. We do get lots of spikes here in the summer and my iMac is protected on UPS which is also a line conditioner. I would highly recommend this approach for anybody with computers or plasma TVs as they really don't like spikes at all.

What is a UPS...sorry I don't know.

And...does the computer "repair itself" then since I don't need to do anything?

THANKS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 inch
What is a UPS...sorry I don't know

Uninterruptible Power Supply (other wise know as an external battery that powers a 110Volt outlet) the bigger the unit the longer the computer can say on before you do a controlled shutdown. not meant for long periods of usage. some are only minutes depending on how much stuff you have plugged into it. no it will not run the beer fridge during a hurricane.

i just bought a second one since i have to many external drives ( got mine from local store)

Amazon.com: APC BE750G 10-Outlet Power-Saving Uninterruptible Power Supply: Electronics

Reaction score
I know in the Windows world, many UPS's can be directly connected via USB to the computer, then when power goes out it can tell the Windows PC at some point to perform a safe shutdown. Maybe there's an OS X equivalent.

Reaction score
I know in the Windows world, many UPS's can be directly connected via USB to the computer, then when power goes out it can tell the Windows PC at some point to perform a safe shutdown. Maybe there's an OS X equivalent.

The APC UPSs can definitely safely shut down the Mac's. They're an important piece of equipment especially if you have unstable power. I've lost several PC's awhile back thanks to flaky power. Have been running all my equipment behind UPSs since then.

J

What is a UPS...sorry I don't know.

And...does the computer "repair itself" then since I don't need to do anything?

THANKS.

An uninterruptible power supply wouldn't let your system crash in the first place because it regulates and filters the power.

J

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
...does the computer "repair itself" then since I don't need to do anything?

No. If it's damaged in the power surge, you'll know. It can't repair physical damage automagically. The most likely "software damage" you would see is a document that was not saved before the power surge. It would still be in whatever state it was in when last saved. In other words, you'd lose any changes that you were in the middle of making.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.