• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Selling on ebay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Hello all,

I am considering selling my uniMB on ebay. I have never sold anything on ebay before, however. Do you have any pointers? Any way to ensure payment by the buyer?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I have had no luck on craigslist.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Regularly buy and sell on eBay Australia and with over 500 transactions only one dud which was sorted out by PayPal.

You might find it a little difficult if you have a 0 or very low feedback score as many buyers will not trust nil or low feedback on a big ticket item such as a Macbook. Go into eBay's selling tips and be guided by that.

Reaction score
Make sure you properly set up a Paypal account

Be honest on the description yet be upbeat about the product

Make sure you have a low-bid that is acceptable to you. I once put something up and started it at $1 thinking it would sell high and it sold for $7 which was a lot less than I paid for it :(

OP
kuklachica
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13" MBP, WD 7200 RPM 320GB HDD, 4GB RAM; 2 EDU iBook G4s, 4g nano, 16GB 2g Touch, shuffle
Thank you for the advice. Would it be worth having my uncle put it on ebay for me since he has bought and sold on ebay a few times, and I have no selling feedback?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Make sure you properly set up a Paypal account

Be honest on the description yet be upbeat about the product

Make sure you have a low-bid that is acceptable to you. I once put something up and started it at $1 thinking it would sell high and it sold for $7 which was a lot less than I paid for it :(

The solution to that problem is to add a reserve. Have a very low starting bid, like just a few dollars. You can program a reserve of $2,000 or whatever you want. If the item does not reach $2,000 it will not sell. I give you this advice because no one will want to bid on an item if they have to bid above $2,000:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Thank you for the advice. Would it be worth having my uncle put it on ebay for me since he has bought and sold on ebay a few times, and I have no selling feedback?

Not a bad idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
A reserve will also get not a lot of bids on the item.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I disagree there, for something like this you need a reserve, especially in the current climate. I sell with reserves quite a lot and never have problems getting bids.
Using your uncles account is a great idea, people do tend to avoid sellers with no feedback to start with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

I agree. Many people and I of recent have strayed away from the reserve auctions. Because we never know if we have the highest bid, if it's over the reserve or not. I like to know when I have the highest bid on an item that i won it, not if it higher than a reserve or not.

I say feel free to but a reserve in it if you wish. For something pricey like an Apple I would got that way. Sure it's less potential bids to you but then there not the risk of a $7 bid winning it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini - 2.26 Ghz C2D - 2 GB RAM - 160 GB HDD
I would say definitely use your uncle's account, I had a hard time selling my HP Laptop because of low feedback (though it did eventually go).

I also recommend linking to an external gallery for your photos. For a big ticket item like a laptop I usually have over 10 photos for buyer assurance so the fees get ridiculous. I link to my photobucket account albums and my customers seem to not have a problem with it. Use the one free photo space but then link to a gallery for the rest.

Reaction score
In the end, I just started the price off at a "low" of what I thought it should be and it generally has worked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.4ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hd,superdrive, OSX Leopard
maybe put it up as a Buy It Now item and allow buyers to submit best offers this is how i always sell on ebay and i find it saves alot of unnecessary bidding time. A pointer regarding posting the item make sure you send the item tracked and get proof of postage as this will ensure the item is not lost in the post. i have bought ands old many things on ebay and find it incredibly safe, i even bought my ipod touch 32gb from there and my beats by dre headphones, just try to establish good communication with the buyer early on and you should be fine.

good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I agree. Many people and I of recent have strayed away from the reserve auctions. Because we never know if we have the highest bid, if it's over the reserve or not. I like to know when I have the highest bid on an item that i won it, not if it higher than a reserve or not.

I say feel free to but a reserve in it if you wish. For something pricey like an Apple I would got that way. Sure it's less potential bids to you but then there not the risk of a $7 bid winning it.

place a high starting bid, not too high to block buyers, and not too low. Put the reserve bid as the lowest price you will accept, which should be near your starting price. For reference, it should be about $5-$10 lower than the actual price. eBay has some good information (<<link) and tips about selling, buying, and shipping.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.