A Little iPhone/Pre speed test

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
From CNet. This is real world in San Fran, so results can vary, but I think a couple of interesting points came out of this. This first obvious thing is that the 3GS startup was about 20 seconds whilst the Pre took 1 min 46 sec. or almost 2 minutes! I thought that was pretty lame. But, I also thought it was lame that the 3GS was getting 3G data connection while the 3G right next to it was only getting Edge. What's up with that, AT&T??

Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV

Reaction score
But, I also thought it was lame that the 3GS was getting 3G data connection while the 3G right next to it was only getting Edge. What's up with that, AT&T??

its a problem with the device. if one device can get on 3G, and another one right next to it cant, is the device, not the network, its as simple as that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The 3GS has a new 3G chip, it could simply be better at picking up 3G signals

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
True, it didn't make much sense that 3 phone would not get 3G right next to each other. I guess that could be another reason to get a 3GS if it has a noticably better antenna. Have they started running the faster network in San Fran like they have in Chicago? Maybe that's the reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
True, it didn't make much sense that 3 phone would not get 3G right next to each other. I guess that could be another reason to get a 3GS if it has a noticably better antenna. Have they started running the faster network in San Fran like they have in Chicago? Maybe that's the reason.

That might or might not be an antenna issue. A couple of bits of anecdotal info...

1. A pal of mine and I both have iPhones (bought from the same store a week or so apart) and have often been side by side in a room where one gets a full signal while the other gets no service. We joke that one of the phones (and it varies as to which gets the signal) sucks all of the signal from the room leaving nothing for the other.

2. I've watched my phone bounce from 3G to EDGE while sitting on the couch and goofing with it.

I would imagine that like any other network access point, a cell tower will only take so many connections so from that it seems plausible that two identical phones, side by side, could end up on different towers and thus different networks, or that one phone could access through two different towers (and networks) at different times, even from the same spot.

Just $.02, which won't get you much these days. Still, the CNET vid was pretty interesting. Thanks to the OP for pointing it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.