Best way to connect to LCD TV

Reaction score
Eustis Florida (50 miles north of Orlando)
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.26Ghz/4GB/750GB WD HDD
I have a Sony Bravia that I sometimes like to connect to for watching movies from my laptop. With that said, what are my options for hooking up my new MBP to the TV. The TV has HDMI, component, VGA, and RCA hook ups available. With my old XPS M1330 I could use the HDMI port on the side and it was an easy 1 cable hook up for audio and video. I'm assuming I'm going to have to buy a connector of some sort for this, but I'm unsure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

OP
vrsantana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Does the MBP send audio through the Mini display port?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I dont think it does

I just use a simple headphone jack to 2 phono cable to get audio to my TV

OP
vrsantana
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
right on! Thanks for your help. I'll be ordering that adapter here soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, iPhone 3GS, and 13" 2.5 ghz MacBook Pro
Connecting MacBook to Sony Bravia TV

I have a 42" Sony Bravia TV, which I connect to my 13" MacBook Pro, and it works great. All you will need are three cables:

1. Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
2. DVI to HDMI cable
3. Audio output cable (left/right audio cable) (since DVI to HDMI cables do not provide audio output)

Additionally, when you connect your MacBook to your Sony TV, use the HDMI port 4, since this HDMI port is specifically designed for connecting computes via HDMI. I learned this the hard way -- I could not get my sound to work until I plugged it into HDMI port 4.

Also, this may seem obvious to some, but make sure to plug the audio output cable into the headphone jack on your MacBook and then connect it to the "Audio In" for HDMI port 4 on your Sony TV.

Finally, under System Preferences in your MacBook, set your display to "Mirror Displays," otherwise your audio and visual will not work on the TV.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
What if your TV has a DVI input like this?
tv_video_IN.jpg

My MBP has the full-size DVI port, so would this cable be sufficient to connect to my tv and view movies, photos, etc.?
I'm aware of the additional audio connector that will be needed.

Reaction score
What if your TV has a DVI input like this?
tv_video_IN.jpg

My MBP has the full-size DVI port, so would this cable be sufficient to connect to my tv and view movies, photos, etc.?
I'm aware of the additional audio connector that will be needed.

you need a mini display port to DVI adaptor. Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.S.)
and then a exstion lead like the one you linked.
there will be non offical versons of this adaptor out cheeper and long enough to use on its own, its just if you want the offical one or a non offical one. i can help with non offical ones as i live in England.

edit: sorry dident read that you mb has the dvi port, yeah that cable should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Ok, thank you very much for your quick reply. I'm ordering it now from Amazon!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You only need that adapter if you have one of the newer unibody machines.

The MBP's all had DVI in prior versions.

Yes, that cable is all you need.

SBS

Reaction score
Not able to connect to TV using mini display port

Hi,
I've been trying to connect my mbp to my sony bravia. I've got the HDMI cabel and the mini display port, but neither the tv nor the mbp recognises the other.

I have a 42" Sony Bravia TV, which I connect to my 13" MacBook Pro, and it works great. All you will need are three cables:

1. Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter
2. DVI to HDMI cable
3. Audio output cable (left/right audio cable) (since DVI to HDMI cables do not provide audio output)

Additionally, when you connect your MacBook to your Sony TV, use the HDMI port 4, since this HDMI port is specifically designed for connecting computes via HDMI. I learned this the hard way -- I could not get my sound to work until I plugged it into HDMI port 4.

Also, this may seem obvious to some, but make sure to plug the audio output cable into the headphone jack on your MacBook and then connect it to the "Audio In" for HDMI port 4 on your Sony TV.

Finally, under System Preferences in your MacBook, set your display to "Mirror Displays," otherwise your audio and visual will not work on the TV.

Hope this helps!

Reaction score
couldn't get sound

I struggled for ages trying to get the sound to work between my macbook pro and my sony bravia. I connected the picture up fine with the mini vgi-hdmi. The picture was perfect. But just couldn't get the sound to work with the headphone to phono cable. I looked through so many forums, read and re read manuals to no avail. Eventually i connected the phono up to my sony surround sound system instead of my TV and bam, i got the sound. Woohoo! so happy. Even more so because the surround sound sounds better than my tv would have done anyway.
I'm just going to leave the cable in the back so when ever i want to hook up i can just grab it. Perfect.

Reaction score
Mac to Bravia Help!!

Hi,

I have a MacBook that I want to connect to my Sony Bravia HDTV - with home theatre sound system.

I have 2 MiniDisplayPort adapters - one to DVI and one to VGA.
I also have a Belkin 12 HDMI:DVI video cable.

I have an HMDI input directly on the side of my TV, which I can connect my Belkin cable to, and then use the Mini DP adapter to DVI to connect to this cable. But what about sound? I need to connect my MacBook to my home theatre sound system (also Sony)...

Any suggestions? Is there an easier way/less cables to do this? Ideally I want to maximize the quality of both picture and sound....

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.1 Gig Processor, 2 MB Ram, 160 HD, 120 Ext HD
Our tv is an 07 LG LCD, one HDMI, one RGB-PC.
I elected for the DVI to serial cable as the TV came with the cable already and we had plans for the HDMI with bluray.

Suffice to say that I set the mac on the entertainment center and connect the dvi and use stereo out to rca jacks to connect to the monitor for surround sound.

Fantastic pic, and sound that makes what little hair I have left stand up.

Yee Har.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.