Internal drives missing from desktop

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, 10.4.11
Hello,

I just purchased a 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro with one internal hard drive.

I also purchased two other internal hard drives, which I installed myself (first time doing this). They were:

-1.0TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA II 7200RPM 32MB Buffer with Perpendicular Drive Technology

-500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA II 7200RPM 16MB Buffer with Perpendicular Drive Technology

When I turned my computer on, the two new drives don't show up on the desktop or in the Finder, but do show up in Disk Utility. I used Finder Preferences and made sure "Hard Disks" was checked both for the desktop and Finder, but nothing.

Is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you installed them correctly...

What file system are the two Barracuda drives using? (They should have come pre-formatted either as NTFS or FAT-32.) Or are they bare? (unlikely)

Also, if either or both of the drives have jumpers, check to see that they're set right. Check the documentation.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, 10.4.11
The drives didn't come with any documentation, but I checked the OWC website, where I purchased them. According to them, the drives are plug-and-play...no jumpers to worry about.

I couldn't find any information as to what file system they are using. In Disk Utility, it says it's Partition Map Scheme is "Unformatted."

OWC actually has documentation about how to format the hard drive. It first says to connect both the data and power cable. I'm not sure what that means?

Hoping for the best, I continued to move forward. Because it's an Intel-based Mac, I checked GUID Partition Table in the "Partition" menu, as instructed. The documentation then tells me to name the drive and click the Partition button. On my computer, however, it won't let me name the drive and there is no Partition button.

Any thoughts? I assume that because the Disk Utility and the System Profiler recognizes the drives, they are at least installed correctly? Now I just need to figure out how to format them?

Thanks for any help!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5, 10.4.11
Nevermind, everything's good!

In case anyone has the same problem, I found more updated documentation that said to go to the "Erase" menu. Choose the drive, name it, and click erase. It's now on the desktop and in the Finder.

Sorry if that's basic stuff, but it was my first entry into personally installing hard drives.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not a problem, glad you got it all sorted out. That's the reason I asked you if the drives were bare (unformatted) - apparently yours were. Although it's unusual for bare drives to be sold, it's really the best way to buy them.

I was about to post the entire procedure for formatting the drives, but I see you have already done it correctly. Have fun.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.