iMac won't detect wireless-n from AirPort Extreme.

Reaction score
I bought a new AirPort Extreme today and it seems to be working correctly. However, OSX cannot detect the 5ghz wireless-n band. I have the SSID named differently than the 2.4ghz band. I've tried logging into it manually and that does not work either. I've also tried restoring factory settings and starting over but it just wont work. Any ideas?

Here are a couple screen shots.

Thanks for any help.

screencap1.jpg

screencap2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
When apple put out the update for the software to go from 7.3.2 to 7.4.1 it has caused problems with the 5GHz 11n. Luckily i heard about it and have kept 7.3.2 on mine and it operates happily. Do you have the Dual antenna model - that may be different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep in mind with the settings in your pics above the network will default to the slowest speed of any unit connected so if you have an iPhone on the network it will operate at 11g

OP
M
Reaction score
I was able to get the iMac to detect the 5Ghz network but the speed is absolutely terrible. It also will not connect at times and completely drops the connection randomly.

I set both bands to 11n only and the 2.4 band works flawlessly. I can't get the 5Ghz band to work worth a crap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take it back to Apple and ask for 7.3.2 to be put back on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.