dos scripts @ boot

Reaction score
I have a very strange one. I have done some research on this one and I can't find anyone who has the same problem. The mac store installed a new hard drive in my macbook. Every since then, when my macbook shuts down or boots us, it goes to a black and white screen and shows the msdos scripts. Does anyone have any clue why it is doing this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not MS DOS scripts - I think you're referring to terminal. Take it back to the Apple store and show them what it's doing. Let them repair it since they just installed a new hard drive in your machine.

Regards.

OP
Y
Reaction score
It's not MS DOS scripts - I think you're referring to terminal. Take it back to the Apple store and show them what it's doing. Let them repair it since they just installed a new hard drive in your machine.

Regards.

Do you think it is necessary? I think it actually started doing it after a software update... would it matter that it shows "terminal"? Could my machine be infected deeper than that??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In your original post you didn't mention that it happened right after a software update. What software update was it? And no, your machine is not infected.

Regards.

OP
Y
Reaction score
In your original post you didn't mention that it happened right after a software update. What software update was it? And no, your machine is not infected.

Regards.

I just started thinking about it more.. I really didn't pay attention because I did the updates right when I booted up.. they actually took the hard drive out of my old macbook and put it in my new one... There were about 15 updates that all occurred at once.. included was java script update.. the new safari update and a few others.... It might have started doing it prior, I really don't know.. the weird thing is, if I was using my old hard drive, why in the world did I need to do duplicate updates? my old machine was totally up to date

Reaction score
Apparently you lost your "splash screen" that normally hides all of the boot messages that scroll by while the Mac is booting up or shutting down. Losing the splashy isn't really serious, and there's a lot of good information in those messages. ;D But for aesthetic reasons, you'd probably rather see your splashy.

See this thread on how to change the login wallpaper. This may give you some clues on how to restore the splashy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.