Visual Voicemail is AWOL on our new iPhones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My wife and I upgraded our original iPhones to the 3Gs today. Everything activated just fine and all, re-synced our iTunes accounts, and made test calls. All seems good, except after re-setting up the voicemail and leaving test messages on each others' phones, the Visual Voicemail feature failed to work and has continued to fail to work. Pressing the voicemail icon simply causes our iPhones to dial into the voicemail service and retrieve voicemails as if calling in from a landline. I've been back and forth between ATT and Apple for 3 hours now so far trying to resolve this. What a complete comedy.

And what's even more aggravating... we STILL do not even have 3G service here. I had thought they had finally rolled it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
umm, I had the same issue. Did you go through the entire voicemail call? After its over, the visual voicemail is back. No joke :)
D

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
umm, I had the same issue. Did you go through the entire voicemail call? After its over, the visual voicemail is back. No joke :)
D

Of course I did. I spent 3 hours with Apple and AT&T. Even if I hadn't thought of that, they certainly did. Repeatedly.

At the last minute, they had me try the SIM card in the old iPhone. I got a message saying "A different SIM card is inserted" (or something to that effect), and they said that that was not the message I should have gotten. They had just become aware of some issue related to the SIM cards in some of the new iPhones that appears to be behind this. What that problem is exactly, they are yet unsure of. They hope to know more come Monday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.