Spell checker and Safari

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to sort out the settings for my mom's new macbook pro (15'' 2.53ghz), in the two days that it's taken for my registration to this forum to get activated, i've pretty much completed most of the set-up stuff but there are still some things i can't figure out on my own.

1. How come the safari address bar doesn't drop down and display all the addresses of the sites i have visited like with firefox or ie? I would really like to use safari as the main browser but not having all the addresses sort of bothers me.

2. Is there a way to permanently turn off the spell checker? My mother does translation work sometimes and uses a different language when using the other apps like chat and searches on the web and all those red underlines are really annoying.

3. Is there a way to permanently adjust the size of the the text when using Safari? I've tried changing the standard and fixed window font sizes (not that i can tell the difference between the two) and it doesn't seem to have worked because every time i open a new window or tab, the text is the same size.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Nothing to do with Notebook Hardware.
Moving to software forums.

Reaction score
1. I don't know why it's not there, but you can use the History menu to 24 "Show Top Sites" or "History".

2. Easiest way to tun off Sell Checker is to open TextEdit and misspell a word and with the RED underline showing Right Click or Control Click on it and uncheck "Spelling", it shows up a little different in different Apps, but you should be able to see it.

3.In Safari Preferences go to the Advanced tab and set the minimum font size you want.

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

OP
G
Reaction score
1. I don't know why it's not there, but you can use the History menu to 24 "Show Top Sites" or "History".

2. Easiest way to tun off Sell Checker is to open TextEdit and misspell a word and with the RED underline showing Right Click or Control Click on it and uncheck "Spelling", it shows up a little different in different Apps, but you should be able to see it.

3.In Safari Preferences go to the Advanced tab and set the minimum font size you want.

Thanks for your quick response. I don't know why i didn't think of just unchecking the spelling option, for some reason i thought i had to pick one of those options:D

I've tried setting the preferences in safari but everytime i go to yahoo it starts out with the letters really small, i usually have to manually make the page bigger myself...

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. I don't know why i didn't think of just unchecking the spelling option, for some reason i thought i had to pick one of those options:D

I've tried setting the preferences in safari but everytime i go to yahoo it starts out with the letters really small, i usually have to manually make the page bigger myself...

Are you sure you are on the " Advanced" tab in Safari Preferences and not on the "Appearance" tab? I just checked Yahoo and it will default to what ever I set as the minimum font size. Under the Advanced tab make sure there is a check mark in the "Never use font sizes smaller than" box and set the size to what you want.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah, i did both the appearance and advanced tabs. What i remember is that sometimes after a search, the results come out in a small size. It happened both with Yahoo and Google searches...

OP
G
Reaction score

Are those really the only options? I am used to having all the websites i visit on the address bar, the Safari method seems so much more inconvenient...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Safari predicts as you type in the address bar. For example, when I type "wn" it has "wnff.net" as the top hit. If I press enter, it automatically fills out the rest and goes there. If I wanted something else, right below that is the history list. I think what you want is to press a down arrow on the address bar and have it list everything, before you type, is that right? I don't know if Safari will do that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.