Wireless does not work.

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro which does not connect to my Westell Versalink A90-327W15-06 Router Wirelessly. It identifies the network and prompts for a password, but the connection always times out.

Strangely, my Dad's Laptop ( Dell Latitude C600
) works just fine.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Boot ROM Version: MBP41.00C1.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.27f1
Serial Number (system): W88317XLYJX

AirPort Card Information:

Wireless Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x8C)
Wireless Card Locale: USA
Wireless Card Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.38.35)

Thanks in advance!

T

todd51

I was setting up a new Linksys wireless router the other day and noticed that my MBP was the ONLY thing in my house that couldn't pull the Internet up wirelessly. I could even browse the web on my iPod Touch. I was connected to the router network just fine, just no Internet.

Finally I found the problem. It was set up for automatic configuration. All I had to do in the router settings was change the channel from "Auto" to channel 6. Everything works perfectly now.

Hope this helps!

OP
F
Reaction score
Well, I looked into my router config. and the wireless channel was already set to channel 6 by default. There was no automatic settings, however I tried all the channels, 1 through 11, to no avail unfortunately.

Also, my brother's basically new Dell Latitude doesnt seem to like the wireless either.

9 months without wireless isn't pleasant at all :(

Thanks anyways todd51!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Switch the encryption over to WPA instead of WEP. It should work just fine (although your dad's ancient C600 will need to be reconnected using the newer encryption).

WEP is basically useless anyway. You'll be doing yourself and your family a huge favor.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thats what I was afraid of...

I assumed from the start that the encryption was the problem, but at first glance, there doesn't seem to be a way to change to WAP. I tried to find documentation online, but the thing must be too old or something.

Hrm... New Topic on this thread:

How do I change the encryption on my Westell A90-327W?

Thanks for all the help so far guys!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So this Westell A90-327W must be a Modem/Router.

I will see what I can find but if it's really old you might have nothing but no encryption and WEP. Will get back to you.

It's not WAP but WPA. One page so far says it has both WEP and WPA. One person solved it by doing a Firmware upgrade on the Westell A90-327W. Looking for it now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There is more to the number. You listed Westell A90-327W but there are some digits after that which tell the revision. Can you check and see if there are more numbers? An example is Westell A90-327W10-06.

The older models are WEP only.

Is your internet through Verizon?

OP
F
Reaction score
WPA :S Typo

A90-327W15-06 it is.

Also, it IS a Verizon modem, but They aren't my provider. My provider doesn't support the router, and Verizon wont help me because they don't provide D:

I'm trying the firmware update, but its being a real pain because I'm not a Verizon customer... I've tied myself into a real knot here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you can ever get the Firmware updated, see if you then have WPA. Let us know. I figured it was going to be a pain when I read all the URL's I ran into last night.

Keep us posted.

If all else fails I would seriously consider purchasing a new and more up to date router as WEP is really outdated and very easy to hack also.

OP
F
Reaction score
Success! I found verizon's little corner of the internet in which they've stowed away the update files to the router firmware. Turns out, the only way to navigate to the page is to log into a verizon account. With the help of a verizon customer/friend, I downloaded the .upg file and then manually uploaded it into the router's flash memory. It was only a quick stroll through the wireless section of the config page to activate WPA security. As soon as I set up the wireless, my computer connected right away.

Thanks everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.