OS X crash, graphics crash, fsck crash...

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I had to force shut and restart my MacBook Pro during a routine software update - I was downloading a java update at the time i think. The screen was hanging there for over ten minutes and I had no alternative. Since then I haven't been able to log back in for longer than five minutes and that only happened once time - long enough to complete the software update and run disc utilities repair - which crashed, along with the graphics doing something weird.

Now I'm forced to continually restart and the graphics are failing severely.

The picture looks similar to a Scottish kilt; horizontal and vertical lines of various colours - pink, green, red, white, blue, black - you name it, my Mac's on acid and I'm afraid on her way out.

I've tried restarting in safe mode - don't work.
I've tried restarting holding down C, D, SHIFT, CMD S and running through /sbin/fsck -fy etc.... it won't repair, nothing seems to work.

I got a new MacBook in the flat but there's no firewire port to salvage my files off the old Pro. She's a month or two shy of two years and has been around the world with me during that time. As you can imagine there's a stack load of information and memories in her trusty hard drive I've accumulated.

I feel like I'm loosing a close friend :(

If I wipe her it would be like introducing a formatted version of Data from The Next Generation to the crew in the final episode of the highly entertaining, long running series. Jean Luc Picard, Riker, Worf, Crusher, Troi and Data's best friend Geordie La Forge would be standing in the bar asking Guinan to whip up a a few Pina Colada's and Singapore Slings. Crusher would bring the tone of the conversation down and ask for an Orgasm, they would all look at each other before bursting into laughter. They would all look around to Data who's just standing there face blank, lights on, no one home kinda look on his face. The the ship's computer would announce that Data was reformatted and had lost all his memories of the previous seven years. The crew would be so depressed they'd drink at the bar all night until they had to be beemed into their quarters.

Anyone any advice?

Pix of sick MacBook Pro attached.

Any help greatly appreciated.

photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.