Will the new macbook pro work with FCS 2?

Reaction score
I am looking to buy Final Cut Studio 2 down the road (probably in the winter)
I have been looking at the recent updates of macbook pros, and I really want to get one (I would buy it in September or so). I think I have settled on the top of the line 15" model. The 17" would be too big for me, and I don't think the extra screen space is worth its price.

So would the top of the line 15" model run everything in Final Cut Studio 2? I have the money to get a Mac Pro desktop, but I want something portable to replace my white macbook. I guess another question would be: does lowest configuration of a mac pro desktop blow the Macbook Pro out of the water when it comes to Final Cut Studio 2?

Up until now, I have only been using Final Cut Express on the iMac and Macbook. Also, will the 9600m in the Macbook Pro be of any benefit in OS X 10.6? According to the list I have seen, the HD 2400 128MB card I have in my iMac will not benefit the GPU processing.

Thank you for your time :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Yes - the top end 15" will be very capable in running FCS2.

OP
JeffBookPro
Reaction score
Thank you.
That still leaves me with two questions:
1. Will the lowest configuration of a Mac Pro be better at FCS 2 than the Macbook Pro?

2. Would OS X 10.6 benefit from the 9600m?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
1. Yes. It's a desktop, and a ridiculously good one at that. 4 cores on a Nehalem (server grade) processor at 2.66GHz, faster hard drive comes standard... In 10.6 I'd say more cores will do you more good. So, if you could shell out for the extra 300, go mac pro.

2. Yes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.